Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Strange Matter in Wort & Blown off airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
rtbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Strange Matter in Wort & Blown off airlock

I experienced two unusual things in a batch I brewed yesterday that may or may not be related.

First, when I was pouring the wort into my primary fermentor, I noticed there was a strange, cloudy matter near the bottom of the brewpot. It was a very similar color to the hot break so I didn't think it was anything harmful and filtered it and put it into primary anyways and once it was full, I could see the same cloudy matter throughout the beer.

This is the lightest beer in color I have made so all I could think of was that maybe this was normal but you just don't notice the matter in darker brews.

Any insight would be very helpful.

The second issue was that the airlock already was blown off after only about 12 hours since pitching so I'm not sure if this unusual matter could have played a part in that. This has happened before though and does not concern me but thought I should mention as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Its called trub and it is always present to some degree in your wort. You will have more in an all grain batch than in extract, and even more if it is a pilsner based beer.

GT

Old 06-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
CA-LT1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

No problem, and no problem.

Quick Reply