Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stout yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #31
dkm11b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

regardless of what yeast you choose to use, the left hand milk stout that i have fermenting with us-05 (got the recipe off of here) is so delicious that i might just go take another hydro reading just to drink it. it seems that using my typical APA/IPA yeast for a stout is odd, but its good so far, gonna let it sit for a few more weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #32
newb
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah so after I posted that curiosity got the better of me. I went back and I did a bit more research into the subject top vs bottom fermenting cold, etc and I see the guys point an ale is an ale because it uses top fermenting yeast at ale temps - the ingredients aren't what really makes it an ale vs a lager it's the fermentation. Is that safe to say? Anyway, it still seems like he was just being a style nazi though. It's homebrewing so unless your entering in a bjcp contest... I AGREE completely with the guy who said why not experiment? Also you are absolutely correct, who's to say your experimenting doesn't revolutionize beer again - good example too, I like the relation to Baltic porters - you have schooled me in them. It is one style, admittedly, I know little about.(except that they are delicious as I've had a few but never knew what made them "baltic") so thanks for that because I now have an idea of what I may try to look into and brew next...

Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #33
newb
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Woodland - thought I'd share this with you. After doing some more homework on lactose, it seems 1# lactose should add about .045 in one gallon... So across a 5 gallon batch .045/5=.009 you should be able to take OG and FG with the lactose and just subtract .009 from each one to have your values with the lactose factored out.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #34
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Woodland - thought I'd share this with you. After doing some more homework on lactose, it seems 1# lactose should add about .045 in one gallon... So across a 5 gallon batch .045/5=.009 you should be able to take OG and FG with the lactose and just subtract .009 from each one to have your values with the lactose factored out.
Awesome, thanks!

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Quick Reply