Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stout yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

For your FG calculation do you add the lactose back in? It's about 43pppg and I would think that almost all of it remains in the FG.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #22
newb
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ok so I doubt this is the MOST accurate way of doing it but here is what I've been doing. I'm sure there is a better way and if so please tell me.

On brew day I take two readings. One before, one after the lactose. When the work is done I go to the computer (I use hopville - it's free) and replace the estimated OG (if not already the same) with the one I got before the lactose(remember I do not have the lactose entered under fermentables in the recipe. I list it with the spices as a misc. ingredient) Ok so I have a target or estimated FG as if I hadnt added lactose. Then I note the difference in the 2 gravs I took. For example if it jumped from 60 - 67 I note a 7 point difference the lactose made. Now here is where the quazi-guess work happens haha and reason I say maybe this isn't 100% accurate. I assume I can add that .007 to the estimated final gravity?(I don't see why not, and it seems to hold up so far) So if it estimates a finish at 1.016 I assume it's going to be more like 1.023 or less. Now come the end of a ferment when the hydrometer stops changing for a few days, the yeast is done whether I like it or not haha So if it is close -say it ends at 1.020- I bottle/keg. If it is lower then my estimated then I am sure it is fine, but if it wasnt close and significantly higher, then I might worry (possibly stuck ferment or something) but I haven't run into this yet. So far this has seemed to work well for me.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That's the same way I do it for recipe formulation. It's worked pretty well for me as well.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
newb
Recipes 

Ok so the S-04, my basement stays right around 63... This too cold?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Ok so the S-04, my basement stays right around 63... This too cold?
I did a cream ale with S-04 recently in at 64. It came out nice and clean. I pitched at 61 and it did take about two days to really get going. But it came out great.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #26
newb
Recipes 

Good stuff.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #27
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Its a pity i didnt find this thread sooner, lots of good suggestions here but im fermenting my vanilla stout with cali lager and 2nd carboy with Danys favorite (1450) at 60F

Old 12-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #28
newb
Recipes 

I don't know much about this, but I was in another post an someone was on a huge rant/tangent bashing American brewers for brewing ales and most specifically stouts and such with lager yeasts...(I don't know why, because I tuned him out quick on account of the soap box approach he was on) any way I'm not sure what the problem was, but if you haven't already (not saying you haven't) I would look into the possible disadvantages of using lager yeast on stouts?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #29
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I don't know much about this, but I was in another post an someone was on a huge rant/tangent bashing American brewers for brewing ales and most specifically stouts and such with lager yeasts...(I don't know why, because I tuned him out quick on account of the soap box approach he was on) any way I'm not sure what the problem was, but if you haven't already (not saying you haven't) I would look into the possible disadvantages of using lager yeast on stouts?
Check out some research on baltic porters. Then find one and try it. Then brew one. They're amazing. They originated bc imperial stouts were becoming popular in England in the 18th century and brewers in the Baltic region wanted to replicate these styles, but using their typical brewing process and ingredients. So they brewed big porters/stouts/imperials and feremented cold with lager yeast. Not to reiterate, but they're amazing.

That's how a style was born in the 18th century. Styles are great, and have their place, but style police are quite annoying to me - who's to say your experimentation in the 21st century won't produce another internationally recognized style for the future? And even if it doesn't, if it makes a delicious beer, who cares?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #30
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

yea baltic porter was the inspiration for lager yeast and i choose cali lager so i can ferment at the same tepm as carboy with ale yeast but after kingwood-kid suggestion i think i should have used WY1335 instead of 1450, i like silky and smooth mouthfeel idea, but its too late to change it now, its 40h of fermentation now and looks like 60 F works well for both strains

Quick Reply