Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Storing Washed Yeast--Refrigeration Necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrojosh View Post
They can survive for a long period of time without food and water, but ultimately, they will die. This process seems to happen faster when not cooled.
That's exactly right.

Quote:
I need scientists to help me out.
I'm no dogfish brewer, but I have a masters in microbiology and just defended my PhD in bacteriology.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
bmeyer46
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I wonder what the alcohol tolerence of yeast is...I realize different strains would be more or less tolerant, but since alcohol keeps the yeast from going bad in the fermentor, could a small amount of alcohol and sterilized water be used?
just kicking around the idea...we do need out chemists!! LOL

Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyer46 View Post
I wonder what the alcohol tolerence of yeast is...I realize different strains would be more or less tolerant, but since alcohol keeps the yeast from going bad in the fermentor, could a small amount of alcohol and sterilized water be used?
just kicking around the idea...we do need out chemists!! LOL
Different strains have different alcohol tolerances. Alcohol does not keep yeast from going bad, technically it is a waste product of yeast metabolism. In fact, increasing alcohol concentrations will eventually kill yeast. Alcohol in the fermented beer prevents other microorganisms, with no alcohol tolerance, from growing.

Storage media needs to be mildly nutritious and protect the cells from freeze damage, while sterile technique keeps contaminating organisms out.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
That's exactly right.

I'm no dogfish brewer, but I have a masters in microbiology and just defended my PhD in bacteriology.
Congrats on your defense, Doc! Also, thanks for the confirmation of my thesis: It's nice to know that yeasts are, metaphorically, mini-bears

We need a way on these forums for our legit scientists to be immediately recognizable. Then I could trust what they have to say and hopefully get less misinformation.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

Congrats on your defense, Doc! Also, thanks for the confirmation of my thesis: It's nice to know that yeasts are, metaphorically, mini-bears

We need a way on these forums for our legit scientists to be immediately recognizable. Then I could trust what they have to say and hopefully get less misinformation.
Hey thanks a lot. Now for some employment.

And great idea, maybe a mortar board or diploma jpeg on the profile. I just want to be helpful and accurate, without coming across as a know-it-all @**hole.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
While not exactly what you describe, I tend to pay attention to the number of 'likes' a poster has received and the ratio of likes to total posts. It's nice to hear from the scientists among us, but often the advice of an experienced brewer like DeathBrewer, Yooper, Revvy, Biermuncher et al. is just as helpful.

Quick Reply