Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stopped bubbling after 24 hours, was it the pumpkin?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
rgonzale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stopped bubbling after 24 hours, was it the pumpkin?

Hi, I'm making my first brew, using Brooklyn Brew Shop's Chestnut Brown Ale gallon kit. After 24 hours of bubbling in the fermentation bottle, I now see almost no activity at all.

I "modified" the brew by adding 15oz of canned pumpkin before boiling. Also, my basement is a bit cool, 65 deg.

Should I add more yeast or did I screw things up?

Thanks for any comments!
Ralph

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

What's the gravity? That's the only way to really tell what the yeast are doing / have done. 65F is a perfect temp, though the beer itself will be a few degrees higher inside than the room temperature.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It doesn't mean anything that the airlock stopped bubbling, except there's no need for it to bubble. It's a vent, to release excess co2, it's not a magic fermentation gauge. Whether it stopped or starts again means nothing.

You don't have to re-yeast, you just have to stop hovering around your fermenter, and let the yeast do what they need to do. Read this and walk away from your fermenter for a week or 3.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

apratsunrthd Likes This 
Old 12-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
apratsunrthd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Revvy replies:

END OF THREAD

;-)

Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 47

15 oz of pumpkin in a 1 gallon kit seems like a lot of pumpkin.

Follow Revvy's advise, fermentation performs quite nicely without human intervention.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It doesn't mean anything that the airlock stopped bubbling, except there's no need for it to bubble. It's a vent, to release excess co2, it's not a magic fermentation gauge. Whether it stopped or starts again means nothing.

You don't have to re-yeast, you just have to stop hovering around your fermenter, and let the yeast do what they need to do. Read this and walk away from your fermenter for a week or 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apratsunrthd View Post
Revvy replies:

END OF THREAD

;-)
Revy needs to have a dedicated button on the keyboard that replies to these questions...

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Last edited by copyright1997; 12-01-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added smiley

Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I bet Revvy has a script written that searches for "bubble" every 5 seconds and alerts him if there is a match so that he can respond.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #8
rgonzale
Recipes 

Default yeah sorry about the FAQ

I know this thread is (except for the pumpkin) covered in numerous earlier posts, but there's *beer* at stake!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
rgonzale
Recipes 

So it came out fine of course. Though I didn't crack the secret of a really good pumpkin ale, it is not bad.

I just started my second effort, again using the Brooklyn Brew Shop 1-gallon grain kit -- this time a Chocolate Maple Porter.

This time there's still plenty of bubble activity at 5 days after starting fermentation. I'm guessing the difference is that the temperature of my basement is lower (62-64 F versus 68-70 F for the previous effort) so the yeast are taking their time. Also this recipe called for adding 3/4 cup of maple syrup to wort, which is a lot of additional fermentable sugar.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 86 Posts

The following is a humorous response and is not to be taken seriously
//-------------------------------------------------------------

But... on the DIY forums there's a really cool project for building a computer controlled bubble counter. It logs the time of day, how many bubbles were released, and estimates total co2 released...

//-------------------------------------------------------------
This is the end of the humorous response not to be taken seriously
(Revvy)

Quick Reply