Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stone Pale Ale - grain to bottle in four days?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #51
pm5k00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

You/I ideal/acceptable, yes I was expressing my opinion, not trying to convey a universal truth. And "correct" pitching rate is subjective, there lots of different ways to do things that are neither wronge or right. They way I like todo things and the results are all preference, and as far as american pale ales go, I personally like to smell the hops first and malt second, with zero esters from yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #52
bolshoifish
Recipes 

So, if a commercial brewer wanted to scale a recipe that relied on a relatively moderate pitching rate for the taste, how would they do so? I would imagine that underpitching isn't really an option on a large scale since the possible lack of profitability is an issue in the highly competitive beer market (due to longer fermentation rates and possible inability to reuse yeast?) So, do they have an alternate route for producing esters?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #53
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
So, do they have an alternate route for producing esters?
Yep,

Temp, oxygen...

Old 01-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #54
SocalNat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchAtStone View Post
And no, I can't provide Arrogant Bastard Ale recipe or ingredients ;-)
"You can, and you will!"
Dr. Reston (Svenjolly) on Seinfeld

Old 01-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #55
bolshoifish
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
Yep,

Temp, oxygen...
I should probably just read a textbook, but in not so few words, your saying they alter the conditions to induce additional yeast growth? If not, I would think the reactions producing esters due to fermentation at higher temperatures varies considerably from those produced via anabolic reactions involving offshoots of the Krebs cycle (I'm assuming they are coming from anabolic since it is during a propagation phase.. but, I've been wrong many times before).

Any way you could be more specific?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #56
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1713 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoifish

I should probably just read a textbook, but in not so few words, your saying they alter the conditions to induce additional yeast growth? If not, I would think the reactions producing esters due to fermentation at higher temperatures varies considerably from those produced via anabolic reactions involving offshoots of the Krebs cycle (I'm assuming they are coming from anabolic since it is during a propagation phase.. but, I've been wrong many times before).

No, you're on the right track it sounds like. It's just a reality that commercial breweries have to deal with... there is no "perfect" compensation for it (though I doubt anyone cares too much, tbh).

Old 01-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #57
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:

I think most brewers are just going to go from experience to create the flavor profile that they want. I would pickup the Yeast book for more in depth info. I am not a micro biologist, nor do I play one on TV, so I'm not really knowledgeable on all the reactions.

Every fermentation is different. What works for one brewer will not work for another. Wort composition, fermenter shape and size, ambient atmosphere, base water, etc... are all factors. That is where the "zen" of brewing comes into play and you adjust the factors based on experience to create the flavor profile that you want based on your equipment.

Quick Reply