Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stir It Up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
RogueBomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stir It Up?

I have a chocolate milk stout fermenting, OG 1.060. It has been 2 weeks to the date since I first threw it in the carboy. It took 48 hours to hit full krausen, now my beer is sitting at 1.023 and there has been a 1/4 inch of foam sitting on top for about a week now that wont seem to drop. There is still slight activity in the airlock (no visual movement. but air space in airlock is full of tiny bubbles). My question is if after a check it again in a few days, and it is stuck. Is is safe to stir up the yeast to get some activity even with the krausen on top?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Need more info on your brewing process, you may have reached terminal gravity already depending on your mash temp and the amount of unfermentables in your grain bill.

Post your recipe, and process, it will give us the information we need to answer your question.

However, swirling your yeast into suspension won't hurt anything as long as you don't oxygenate the beer, but then you'll have to wait a while for the yeast to settle again, assuming it doesn't continue fermenting.

Hope that helps.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply