Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > To Stir Plate or Not To Stir Plate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
balazs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default To Stir Plate or Not To Stir Plate?

I've been making yeast starters for a while now using the conventional 1 gallon jug with an airlock and have been able to grow lots of slurry without a problem. Lately I have been looking into making a stirplate. I just can't help but wonder though, is this something that will really make a better and healthier starter or is it more or less another brew toy (eye candy). I am aware that the stirplate keeps the yeast in suspension but how much healther does is make the yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2340 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I enjoyed making and using my stirplate. I honestly can't tell it it's making a real difference or not. If you aren't interested in it for the cool toys factor, then I'm guessing you can get good results by simply picking up the container and shaking or swirling for a few seconds each time you walk past it.

The stirplate basically just keep the yeast in suspension, allow it to contact more food than otherwise. Once you've shaken the wort up, you probably have as much O2 in solution as it can hold. There may be some further exchange of gas at the surface of the wort once the yeast start consuming the O2 already in the wort, but how much benefit a stirplate gives over occasional stirring is debatable.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 06-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

A recent Basic Brewing Radio, may help you decide.

Quote:
May 13, 2010 - Stir Plates and Triangle Tests
Home Brewer Sean Terrill joins us again to follow up on his yeast starter aeration experiment. Also, Sean shares the results of his pitching rate experiment, recruiting dozens of home brewers to help evaluate.

- Sean's Yeast Pitching Rate Results http://seanterrill.com/2010/05/09/ye...-rate-results/
- Sean's Stirplate Design http://seanterrill.com/2010/04/26/bu...ter-stirplate/

Click to listen- MP3

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I liked making my plate as well. Awesome when it was done and worked!

If you check out MrMalty (http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html) and the suggested pitch starter needed, you will note that when you select stir plate versus simple starter, that the size of the starter goes down considerably the higher gravity beer you are making. I would say that this means stir plates are more effective at making healthy and more dense yeast colonies.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 06-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2340 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

The point is that a stirplate will definitely create more healthy yeast in less time than a simple starter. However, I think the term simple starter means just adding your vial to a stationary jar of wort.

I can't help but wonder but that the occasional stir is also going to be more effective than simply letting it sit there undisturbed.

So the simple answer is yes, a stirplate is much better than nothing, but stirring a few times a day is probably very helpful too, as an alternative.

I recommend building one. It's easy and fun. I made mine out of an old printer selector box and an old computer fan. I used hard drive magnets mounted on the fan, and an old mobile phone charger to power the fan. It's crude, but it works.

There must be many threads in internet land that show people's stirplates. Lots of cool ideas.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 06-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
a10t2
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I can't help but wonder but that the occasional stir is also going to be more effective than simply letting it sit there undisturbed.
Essentially what I found is that *frequent* shaking is almost as good as a stirplate, and that direct aeration is the best technique of all: Aeration and Yeast Starters

Overall it seems that agitation doesn't do much in and of itself (for a low-gravity wort, anyway). The benefit of shaking or a stirplate comes primarily from turning over wort at the surface and increasing oxygen uptake.

Quote:
So the simple answer is yes, a stirplate is much better than nothing, but stirring a few times a day is probably very helpful too, as an alternative.
I think that's a pretty good summary.

Barazs: you say you're using an airlock, which means that there will be almost no oxygen available once the yeast have exhausted the O2 in the headspace. At that point reproduction will stop and you'll only have fermentation going on. Other techniques for growing more yeast won't be effective unless you remove the airlock.

Sean

Old 06-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10t2 View Post
Other techniques for growing more yeast won't be effective unless you remove the airlock.
Exactly. Use loosely wrapped foil on top

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
balazs
Recipes 

Good stuff! Thanks for all the info and links. Definatly will be making a stir plate after reading more on what they do for the yeast.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
riromero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I recommend building one. It's easy and fun. I made mine out of an old printer selector box and an old computer fan. I used hard drive magnets mounted on the fan, and an old mobile phone charger to power the fan. It's crude, but it works.

There must be many threads in internet land that show people's stirplates. Lots of cool ideas.
I'm with you, brother. Computer fan and some kind of 9V charger I found in the bottom of my drawer is all I used too. But I can only make stirplate starters about 2/3rds of the time because I keep losing the damn stirbar. Seems like the stirplate method makes way more yeast.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riromero View Post
I'm with you, brother. Computer fan and some kind of 9V charger I found in the bottom of my drawer is all I used too. But I can only make stirplate starters about 2/3rds of the time because I keep losing the damn stirbar. Seems like the stirplate method makes way more yeast.
Tape a magnet to the outside of the flask after using the stir plate but before pitching.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

kaips1 Likes This 

Quick Reply