Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stir plate for fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
TheBreweryUnderground
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sudbuster could you post more info on your build and process for stirring? Also how does the krausen look during fermentation, does it make it blow off easier? I'm super jealous, I'll have to try making this myself.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
A stirplate is used with starters to keep the yeast in suspension...there is no oxygen being absorbed into that starter with all the CO2 being pumped out.
That's not what is said at http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/yeast...-and-practices as well as several other sources.

However, if you ferment with an airlock in place, I can't see how you would oxidize the beer.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
BrewclearAssault
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Doesn't the airlock keep oxygen from getting in? If there was an airlock attached and a stir plate in operation, that would keep the yeast in suspension while keeping the O2 out, would it not?

Make the final stand, and die with a beer in your hand!- Tankard

Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Okay, I don't feel like such a dork now. I have a 5.5Gallon graham cracker ale that should be ready to be kegged tomorrow that I fermented on a stir plate. The fermentation was something to behold. ACTIVE fermentation only took about 3 days. But it seemed that the agitation actually reduced the krausen, even with a haze of bubbles rising constantly it never grew above about 1". A blow off is definitely required for those first 3 days though!!
As for comments about the flavor profile changing I don't have a reference as this was a new recipe for me.
But if I can ferment to FG in a week I'm a convert.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Doctor_M
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 163

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...tir-Plate.html

Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
mrmiyagi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did a 1 gal extract tripel yesterday and put the fermenter on my stirplate on low speed to see what happens. I really don't see how stirring can have anything other than a positive effect. Reducing yeast sedimentation, improving yeast-wort contact, and increasing wort-to-headspace contact to aid driving out dissolved CO2 are all desirable effects. There will be no oxidation due to the airlock. The Teflon coated stir bar was boiled and then StarSan'd. I pitch at an appropriate rate and on big beers oxygenate with 100% O2 just prior to pitch and again at 12 hours. I was concerned about shear stress on the yeast and whether that would cause lysis, but some of the references posted above state that has not been an issue. We will see.

Question is how long to stir. I generally go 1 month in the primary (no secondary) and then to bottle for as long as I can stand it. I'll probably stop stirring after 3 weeks to let the dust settle.

I feel this hobby is all about experimentation, and I am not going to let the fearmongers keep me from doing so.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #17
motorneuron
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiyagi View Post
I did a 1 gal extract tripel yesterday and put the fermenter on my stirplate on low speed to see what happens. I really don't see how stirring can have anything other than a positive effect. Reducing yeast sedimentation, improving yeast-wort contact, and increasing wort-to-headspace contact to aid driving out dissolved CO2 are all desirable effects. There will be no oxidation due to the airlock. The Teflon coated stir bar was boiled and then StarSan'd. I pitch at an appropriate rate and on big beers oxygenate with 100% O2 just prior to pitch and again at 12 hours. I was concerned about shear stress on the yeast and whether that would cause lysis, but some of the references posted above state that has not been an issue. We will see.

Question is how long to stir. I generally go 1 month in the primary (no secondary) and then to bottle for as long as I can stand it. I'll probably stop stirring after 3 weeks to let the dust settle.

I feel this hobby is all about experimentation, and I am not going to let the fearmongers keep me from doing so.
I have been very curious about this because I have read about rousing yeast in traditional production of high-gravity beers. Ray Daniels talks about how English brewers used to take the beer for a walk when they were making barley wines. I still haven't heard a reason to believe that it could be harmful, at any rate, so let us know how it goes.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
mrmiyagi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmmm... Something is strange. OG was 1.085 and recipe had 20% sucrose (sucrose added on day 2) and had vigorous fermentation blowing out my stopper and blowoff hose. MrMalty pitch rate with fresh yeast, O2 injected at pitch and 12 hours later. Fermentation slowed after a week (about a bubble/minin the airlock), but then kept bubbling at this rate.

Kept it stirring and checked on day 22 and was 1.027 and very sweet. Checked again on day 25 and was 1.025. Evidence points to continued slow fermentation...I would have really thought the stirring would have sped things up quite a bit more.

Unfortunately I have introduced another variable here though. Normally start ferment at 66F in the basement and bring upstairs into a cupboard the wife lets me hide it in to finish things out at 71F. Well, stirplate and jug don't fit! So, this batch was kept downstairs at 66F the whole time, and I would guess the stirring helped equalize temperature and reduce the normal internal temp increase seen during vigorous fermentation. So, overall a much cooler ferment.

I'll just wait it out and see where it finishes. It'll be done when it's done.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
mrmiyagi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So after 5 weeks on the stirplate went from 1.085 to 1.015 with WLP530 kept at 66-67 F ambient the whole time. Not too bad for extract (Briess Pilsen Light DME). Tastes no different than without stirring. Will see how it turns out after it carbs and conditions a bit.

Quick Reply