New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stinky, Clumpy Wyeast Irish Ale Yeas Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
EinGutesBier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stinky, Clumpy Wyeast Irish Ale Yeas Fermentation

I want to start off by saying I've fermented stinky beers. I've done lagers, I've done Kolsches, I know what a stinky fermentation is...

But the Irish I did a week ago smells pretty rank. Something similar to rotten eggs but more like cat farts. Yes, cat farts. The odor has subsided somewhat but I can't smell fermented beer through the airlock. Just a lighter cat fart odor.

I knew I shouldn't but I cleaned and sanitized the lid and my hands to crack open the bucket and see what the heck was up. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw several larger, clumpy (possibly slimy?) alleged yeast colonies at the top and some smaller ones dotting the surface. I've seen some bad infections and this doesn't look like any of them, so I'm a bit baffled.

Full disclosure: This yeast packet, when received was partially frozen. I let it slowly thaw so as to not shock the yeast or injure them further. The only thing noticeable about the fermentation was the odor afterward.

EDIT: Also, it proofed just fine.

Last edited by EinGutesBier; 02-09-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Weezknight
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like my experience with Wyeast Irish Ale. I don't recall having that bad of a smell, though. I think I remember posting a question on here about some sort of "Alien looking landscape" or something that was floating around in my beer.

Long story, short...the Irish Red came out awesome! The yeast, though, definitely frightened someone doing their first batch ever!

Planning: 4 Bines IPA, Heights #10 Irish Red
Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
Bottled: N/A

Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input, Weez. Out of curiosity, how long did you give your Irish in primary and secondary combined? I want to give this a good chance to, uh...air out.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Weezknight
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't secondary at all. I let it run in the primary for about 3 weeks, and then went straight to bottles.

Planning: 4 Bines IPA, Heights #10 Irish Red
Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
Bottled: N/A

Quick Reply