The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Still Bubbling 11 days into fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
simple-stupid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Still Bubbling 11 days into fermentation?

I did a high grav weizenbock last saturday (11 days ago) and there are still are a couple bubbles coming through the airlock (3-4 a minute?) I pitched 2 rehydrated packets of safbrew wb-06, and initial fermentation was crazy, huge krausen within 12 hours, full blowoff tube within 18.

So.. where the **** are these bubbles be coming from?

Primary: Beer
On Tap: Beer
Bottled: Beer
On Deck: Beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
bmac
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Have you taken any gravity readings to see where the beer is at as far as fermentation?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I did a simple merican red ale a few months back OG 1.048 and it farted thru the airlock for 13 days. I was like WTF, never once opened the lid until 3weeks later to the day. Turned out great and my wifes favorite beer to date.

I've never had any kinda beer do that..

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
simple-stupid
Recipes 

I havent checked the gravity yet, I don't really like checking anytime before 2 weeks, so I kinda would almost rather wait it out until its done bubbling, then check, then keg it.. unless my worst fears become a reality.. and it actually is infected

Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 61

High gravity means lots of work to do, and then the cleanup. Hydrometer readings?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I just did a cherry pale with US05 and it bubbled for two weeks, even after it blew the top off my bucket. I racked to secondary to get it off the fruit and it's still bubbling. This was with an OG of 1.062. I did an IIPA with an OG of 1.079 and US04 and it was done with visible activity after three days.

I rehydrated the US05 but not the 04, but I don't think that would have made such a huge difference.

And the cherry was definitely not infected. It just didn't want to stop. Little yeasties were having to much fun, who am I to complain?

Kegged: The Weevil Dead IIPA | Tornado Warning Imperial Stout | Prepare To Die Porter

Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
simple-stupid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral View Post
I rehydrated the US05 but not the 04, but I don't think that would have made such a huge difference.
Pretty good article about dry yeast, i suggest you read it

http://koehlerbeer.com/2008/06/07/re...-clayton-cone/

Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
dlcumpton
Recipes 

Default When to cold crash???

I have an extract amber ale in the primary. OG was 1.040 and my final gravity seems to be hanging around 1.010 even though i still get a bubble about every 2 to 3 minutes.. Its been in the primary for 10 days. Im wondering if it is ok to go ahead and "Cold Crash". Im guessing this batch is going to be a little dryer than i originally wanted, but oh well...
I guess my question is, is it too soon to cold crash? Will this effect flavor at all, clarity, ect...I just dont want my FG to go any lower.
Please help this newby out!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
simple-stupid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcumpton View Post
I have an extract amber ale in the primary. OG was 1.040 and my final gravity seems to be hanging around 1.010 even though i still get a bubble about every 2 to 3 minutes.. Its been in the primary for 10 days. Im wondering if it is ok to go ahead and "Cold Crash". Im guessing this batch is going to be a little dryer than i originally wanted, but oh well...
I guess my question is, is it too soon to cold crash? Will this effect flavor at all, clarity, ect...I just dont want my FG to go any lower.
Get your own damn thread rookie!!!!

Just kidding, I always wait full weeks for primary ferm, if not more, and then off to the bottle/keg/secondary. With most of my beers I do 2-3 weeks in primary, cold crash, then keg.

I'm assuming that you are still bottling, and cold crashing is rather unnecessary if thats the case, so my advice to you would be wait the two weeks, then bottle, then wait another painful two weeks..

Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
simple-stupid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcumpton View Post
Get your own damn thread rookie!!!!

Just kidding, I always wait full weeks for primary ferm, if not more, and then off to the bottle/keg/secondary. With most of my beers I do 2-3 weeks in primary, cold crash, then keg.

I'm assuming that you are still bottling, and cold crashing is rather unnecessary if thats the case, so my advice to you would be wait the two weeks, then bottle, then wait another painful two weeks..

Quick Reply