Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stc-1000

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
jordanIPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stc-1000

I was wondering what is the best installation video for the stc-1000 temperature control unit on YouTube?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Don't know about any videos, but this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/ makes the build pretty much idiot proof. If you read a page of so into it there are pictures with the wires numbered. It was so easy even I could do it.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
jordanIPA
Recipes 

Okay, I understand the wiring and now I might have a really stupid question. You plug the fridge into the cooling plug in, and maybe like a heating blanket to the heating plug? Sorry if this is rediculous!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
ClunkClunk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's the basics of it.

Because it's "Dual Stage" it means that it can control both a heating device and a cooling device. On the STC-1000, you set a desired temperature (in Celsius) and an amount of variance from that desired temperature before either plug is turned on, and it does the work of turning on the cooling or heating device as necessary.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Here you go -

Also helpful -

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

With the help of that HBT thread and YouTube vid, I've built two of these and have a third one due to arrive tomorrow for my plan to have a lagering/cold crash chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanIPA View Post
Okay, I understand the wiring and now I might have a really stupid question. You plug the fridge into the cooling plug in, and maybe like a heating blanket to the heating plug? Sorry if this is rediculous!
No worries. That is a good question to ask. Once you build the controller box, you will have two outlets that are controlled by the STC-1000. One is for cooling - plug the freezer into that. The other is for warming - plug some type of heat source into that and put the heat source inside the freezer. I use one of these - http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

Once you have it all plugged in and set the desired temp (in Celsius) on the STC-1000, it will send power as needed to either the freezer or the heater to maintain that temp.

Here's the first one that I put together -

If you have any more questions, ask away. That's what this forum is here for.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I built mine using the original plug from the fridge. I had to add a single wire from the neutral line at the fridge's external junction box to the inside of the fridge to connect to the STC-1000's power connections, but it was simple. The STC-1000 has an ON/OFF function, so when the unit is off, so is the fridge/heater. To me, it seemed like a much more in depth (and unnecessary extra work) to build an external temperature control box, but to each his own. I just cut a hole in the door and sealed it with caulking around the unit. Here are some pictures.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanIPA View Post
That is is exactly how it works. I have my refrigerator plugged into the cold side and I have a lamp that I have inside the fridge plugged into the heat side.

When I first set it up. I drilled a hole through the side of the fridge for the probe (don't do that if you are using a freezer) and just closed the door on the cord to the lamp. I later drilled a hole for the lamp cord and cut it and spliced it back together.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:

Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPayne View Post
To me, it seemed like a much more in depth (and unnecessary extra work) to build an external temperature control box, but to each his own. I just cut a hole in the door and sealed it with caulking around the unit.
I like that install. Very clean. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to do something similar (direct wiring, no outlet box) for my keezer since it's in my game room set at 39*F and will never have the need for a heater.

The reason I built my first two with the project boxes/dual outlets is that both were used in places where it can and does get cold in winter. Having the external boxes with both heat and cool plugs gives me greater portability and flexibility. For example, the chest freezer that is now my keezer and clad in solid oak used to be my fermenter chamber out on the garage.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

For me, it made sense to follow the directions step by step so I didn't screw it up.

I didn't understand a word that USMC Payne wrote.

The external build that Misplace Canuck did and explained made it so someone that is an absolute idiot (me) when it comes to wiring could wire it.

There are a lot of us out here, btw

Quote:

Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
I didn't understand a word that USMC Payne wrote.
HAHAHA, well, I understand that what I think is easy may not be so easy (I am an electrical engineer according to my degree though I don't use it any longer).

Step 1 - remove thermostat from inside fridge
Step 2 - cut hole in door
Step 3 - wire existing wires from thermostat to STC-1000
Step 4 - add wire from fridge plug neutral to STC-1000
Step 5 - caulk
Step 6 - turn on & ferment

Doesn't get much easier than that in my book. Took me about 2 hours total time to remove shelving and door panels, measure and cut the door hole, bend the freezer section, caulk it in and fire it up.

Quick Reply