The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter with too high of SG?.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Brocster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Starter with too high of SG?.....

I began making a starter yesterday for a 10 gallon Kolsch recipe. I am using White Labs Kolsch yeast, and I was planning in creating a 2L starter to split between 2-5.5 gallon fermenters.

I was planning on stepping up over a few days, and last night I started the process. I realized I made a stupid (I think) mistake, probably just too dang tired when I did this.

I used a little over a cup of water and 1/4 cup (not packed) DME. I meant to use 2 cups of water. My SG is probably towards 1.070. I pitched the yeast at midnight last night.

Should I continue on when I get home, just stepping up with some lower SG wort, say 1.030? I was thinking of stepping up a full liter tonight. Or, is my starter toast since it was faced with too many sugars?

Thanks

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

your starter is not toast. yeast don't die from diabetes. they wouldn't be very good if they did. just continue with what your doing and measure better next time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply