Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is a starter "thick or thin" in Mr Malty?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Default Is a starter "thick or thin" in Mr Malty?

Just started washing yeast and making starters so I am looking on Mr Malty to figure out how much to pitch.

I washed some yeast and canned it in a normal mason jar. There is about 3/16 of compacted yeast after crashing.

I put this in a 1 liter starter at 1.040 for 24 hours before brewing.

I am brewing a 3 gallon batch so I used the calculator to figure out how much to pitch, I am sure I dont need all of it. I will shake up the starter and pitch the quantity that the calculator gives me, the rest I will save for later.

The calculator asks if it is thin or thick slurry. What is a "shaken" 1 liter starter considered? Do I just leave the default setting and RDWHAHB?

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
honeybadger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The slurry calculator shows how much of the thick pasty yeast from a pervious fermentation to pitch directly into a new batch. You've made a starter so you'll need to work it out using the starter calculator.

Alternatively you could chill the starter overnight, decant the liquid and you'll be left with a "thick" slurry which you could measure or weigh.

Respect the Honey Badger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0tycmec1fw

Old 09-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
The slurry calculator shows how much of the thick pasty yeast from a pervious fermentation to pitch directly into a new batch. You've made a starter so you'll need to work it out using the starter calculator.

Alternatively you could chill the starter overnight, decant the liquid and you'll be left with a "thick" slurry which you could measure or weigh.
+1. Cold crash it and estimate the volume. Only real way to tell how much yeast you have.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply