Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter, started 4 days ago. Will it still be good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Starter, started 4 days ago. Will it still be good?

I made up a White Labs California Ale starter (001) using 1qt. of water, 1/2 cup light DME and 1/4tsp. yeast nutrient and it worked nicely for three days. I got behind on my schedule and can not make my intended brew until this coming Tuesday. The starter will then be 6 days old. I placed the starter into my refirgerator yesterday afternoon in hopes of saving it until then. My thought is to boil up another 1qt. of water, 1/2 cup light DME and 1/4tsp. of yeast nutrient, cool it then add it back to the starter in the refigerator. Should I draw off the wort above the yeast in the current starter before adding the new wort? Will it hurt anything to just add it directly into the starter and give it 24 hours to work back up, then add it to my brew? Or can I use the current starter without having to do any of the things above?

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'd draw the spent wort off the old one before adding the new starter, otherwise you will end up with 1/2g of very low gravity starter. I'd also use about 3/4 cup of DME per qt, which should give you a gravity fairly close to 1.040

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Brocster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee56 View Post
I made up a White Labs California Ale starter (001) using 1qt. of water, 1/2 cup light DME and 1/4tsp. yeast nutrient and it worked nicely for three days. I got behind on my schedule and can not make my intended brew until this coming Tuesday. The starter will then be 6 days old. I placed the starter into my refirgerator yesterday afternoon in hopes of saving it until then. My thought is to boil up another 1qt. of water, 1/2 cup light DME and 1/4tsp. of yeast nutrient, cool it then add it back to the starter in the refigerator. Should I draw off the wort above the yeast in the current starter before adding the new wort? Will it hurt anything to just add it directly into the starter and give it 24 hours to work back up, then add it to my brew? Or can I use the current starter without having to do any of the things above?

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

Salute!
If you are brewing a beer over 1.055, I would whip up another wort starter and decant the original starter's yeast slurry into that, the idea to pitch the newer starter at full krausen. If you are brewing a beer less than 1.055, I think you will be fine using the yeast at the bottom of your original starter. Just pull it out of the fridge 4-5 hours ahead of time to warm the liquid to room temp. Decant most of the spent wort and then pitch the slurry into your batch of beer.

Cheers!

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Quick Reply