Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > starter smells funny...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
matc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default starter smells funny...

So I've had this 6 months old wyeast scotch ale on the stir plate since last thursday and finnally, it started to ferment today ! There's a nice krausen but the starter smells like banana. The temperature was around 70-71F the whole time. Is this normal ? I took 2 gravity readings in the meantime so I hope there's no contamination

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matc View Post
So I've had this 6 months old wyeast scotch ale on the stir plate since last thursday and finnally, it started to ferment today ! There's a nice krausen but the starter smells like banana. The temperature was around 70-71F the whole time. Is this normal ? I took 2 gravity readings in the meantime so I hope there's no contamination
71F is on the high end for Scottish Ale (1728) so it probably made some banana esters while fermenting. Put it in the fridge 12 hours or so before you brew and decant off the clear liquid above the yeast cake. That should get rid of most of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply