Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > starter size and pitch day after brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
Jdaught
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

So as long as your sanitization practices are good then there is no reason you couldn't brew today and pitch tomorrow. Just a matter of how comfortable you are with your cleanliness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
jerrodm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Agree with that. There are those that argue that anything you do that increases the risk of infection is bad, but I think it's a risk/reward tradeoff. You might have a slightly increased chance of infection (since no matter how careful/thorough we are, we're never working in completely bacteria free conditions), but whether or not you decide to do it is more about your personal willingness to tolerate that additional risk. I tend to think that if you're pretty careful about santization, chances are you'll be OK.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
CryoEng
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 4 Posts

Default Can you get it and keep it cold?

If you can cool fairly quickly to a fairly low temp, and keep it there, that could buy you time to let the starter get going... Yes??

Cheers

Old 11-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts

Right--it's not that it's a bad per se, and the lower you can get the temp the better off you're likely to be. Is it ideal? No, because as I said before, the longer you let the wort sit without pitching, the more likelihood (even if it's still low) that something besides your yeast will take up residence. But it's probably a manageable risk, assuming that you sanitize well and follow good procedures. Not something I would want to do all the time, but if it was between that and not brewing at all, I'd probably choose to go ahead and do it.

Quick Reply