Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > starter screw-up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
sneakypete
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default starter screw-up

Okay, here is my situation... I ordered a kit from Northern Brewer. The 115 dream hopburst IPA. When I hopened the package, I got the wrong yeast, so I called and they shipped my Wyeast American Ale right out. When I got it Monday, the package was "inflated". I was told it would still be okay, so today I made my starter, poured in the yeast, and without thinking stuck the flask in the refrigerator. About 1 and ahalf or two hours later I realized, holy crap, I am not suppose to put that in the frige yet, so I immediately pulled it out and put it in my beer storage room in my basement. About 4 horus later I looked at it, and there apears to not be much activity if any, and there is a sediment of yeast at the bottom of the flask. I was hoping to Brew Thursday. Do you think my yeast will be okay, or should I overnight some and Brew Friday??? Any help would sure be appreciated!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete
Okay, here is my situation... I ordered a kit from Northern Brewer. The 115 dream hopburst IPA. When I hopened the package, I got the wrong yeast, so I called and they shipped my Wyeast American Ale right out. When I got it Monday, the package was "inflated". I was told it would still be okay, so today I made my starter, poured in the yeast, and without thinking stuck the flask in the refrigerator. About 1 and ahalf or two hours later I realized, holy crap, I am not suppose to put that in the frige yet, so I immediately pulled it out and put it in my beer storage room in my basement. About 4 horus later I looked at it, and there apears to not be much activity if any, and there is a sediment of yeast at the bottom of the flask. I was hoping to Brew Thursday. Do you think my yeast will be okay, or should I overnight some and Brew Friday??? Any help would sure be appreciated!!!!
This is clearly a case of RDWHAHB. Leave it out at room temp and you'll be fine. Starters dont show signs of activity until well after 4 hours - you'll be fine by Thursday.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
shattstar03
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

I've screwed up so many times like that, here's one thing I learned, the execution might have sucked but it still got the job done. Just like maomachine said, leave it out at room temp and it'll be alright.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
biestie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Perfectly fine.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
sneakypete
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies, glad to know I'll be okay and that others have done the same thing! I had a million things going on earlier when I was doing it and felt like a total scatter brain!!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
sneakypete
Recipes 

Brewed last night and finished at 7:30. This morning at 7:00 a checked on it and there is no bubbling, or any sign of activity. Is my beer garbage? Can I overnight some american ale yeast?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
sneakypete
Recipes 

Well Friday morning, still no activity in fermenter so I contacted Northern Brewer. They are sending me another yeast packet. They said as long as I get it in within a week I should be good. I'm getting alittle frustrated as I was pretty excited about the beer. Hopefully it turns out.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Well Friday morning, still no activity in fermenter so I contacted Northern Brewer. They are sending me another yeast packet. They said as long as I get it in within a week I should be good. I'm getting alittle frustrated as I was pretty excited about the beer. Hopefully it turns out.
I'm not sure if this is advisable or not, but would adding camdem to the wort a day before pitching put your mind at rest?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
You may in fact find that the beer starts fermenting by the time you get the new yeast are you using a bucket? Have you opened it to see if there is any evidence of krausen? You did not make a starter because you apparently never got it going properly so the beer was under pitched and could take up to 36 hours to begin fermenting.

RDWHAHB, when everything is said and done you will in fact have beer! Now pay attention I your fermentation temperature and try to keep it in the mid 60 range!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 554 Posts
Likes Given: 170

How is this progressing? Did you take a gravity reading and confirm that nothing was happening? Remember that you may never see any bubbling in an airlock and still have a perfectly normal fermentation.

I would estimate that at least 80% of the "My Smackpack arrived inflated" had no problems at all if they made a proper starter.

Also even with a starter it may take a day or two to see signs of fermentation.

Quick Reply