Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
Kaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Starter Question

Did my first starter about 48 hours ago and pitched into a fresh batch of Belgian Wit (5 gal.) The reason this was my first starter, my vial of WLP400 expired in Aug. 2010. I just want someone to check my method here. I made a starter wort of 1L water and 1 cup light DME with about 1/8 tsp. yeast nutrient. Boiled all this for about 15 mins, cooled to 65F and poured in my vial. This afternoon about an hour before I pitched it, I had a good 2-3 inches of nice foamy kreusen on top and layer of yeast on the bottom. I didn't pay attention to how much yeast was on the bottom. I also didn't decant the the starter beer off the top, I just swirled and poured. Did I do this right or should I be concerned about not having enough yeast cells since this was an older vial? Just curious...TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Did my first starter about 48 hours ago and pitched into a fresh batch of Belgian Wit (5 gal.) The reason this was my first starter, my vial of WLP400 expired in Aug. 2010. I just want someone to check my method here. I made a starter wort of 1L water and 1 cup light DME with about 1/8 tsp. yeast nutrient. Boiled all this for about 15 mins, cooled to 65F and poured in my vial. This afternoon about an hour before I pitched it, I had a good 2-3 inches of nice foamy kreusen on top and layer of yeast on the bottom. I didn't pay attention to how much yeast was on the bottom. I also didn't decant the the starter beer off the top, I just swirled and poured. Did I do this right or should I be concerned about not having enough yeast cells since this was an older vial? Just curious...TIA
That sounds about right. You should be fine.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 11-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If you have Krausen you're good. How often did you stir the starter since getting some oxygen into the starter helps more healthy cells develop.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 11-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I was mostly working right after I made the starter, so it didn't get stirred much...just shook the hell out of it a few times the night I made it. I pitched it into my Wit yesterday evening and had active fermentation going at about 68F this morning, so it must've been good for something. One thing about starters that I find confusing, is the difference in volume. When a recipe says make a 2L starter as opposed to a .5L starter, is this just upping the amount of starter wort and doing one starter, or is it starting with a .5L starter and one vial and re-making it a few times to get to 2L?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the .5L starter is just to get the yeast active, whereas the 2L starter is to get significant growth.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Quick Reply