Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter for OG 1.087

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
joenads
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Starter for OG 1.087

I need some advice on making a starter. I was planning on making the 115th dream double ipa kit from northern brewer on sunday. The og is supposed to be 1.087. I was going to make a starter for it tonight, but I'm not sure if I need to step it up, which I dont think I have time for now, or just start with a large quantity. I've got one wyeast pack for it. (I also have 2 packs of dry yeast) If I dont have time for that, I have an amber kit with an og of 1.063 as a back up, but what kind of starter am I looking at for that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With a stir plate and 1 pack of yeast, you'd need about a 2 liter starter. Without a stir plate and shaking it once in a while, you'd need 3 liters. With that much starter wort, you would definately want to ferment it out, cold crash it and decant the spent wort...all which sounds like it would take more time than you have.

I would use the dry yeast ( 11g pkgs? ), rehydrate them and pitch that. I've used dry yeast for DIPA before and they come out fine.

www.mrmalty.com

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

+1 to above, seems like solid advice. Not enough time for 3L that has fermented out. You're going to want to have enough yeast for a 1.087, so I wouldn't rush it.

I'd either go 2 dry packets for the big gravity brew.

Or get a starter going immediately for the 1.063 brew. Maybe go 2 L and direct pitch the whole thing as you likely won't have time to ferment out, cold crash, and decant. 2L is about the largest starter I direct pitch, as anything larger will really start to influence your final brew. This will still be underpitching some, but not by a large amount.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
joenads
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks, guys. I think I'll just use the 2 packets of dry. This is my 3rd all grain, so I definitely underestimated the amount of time to step up a starter.

Quick Reply