Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter not starting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
TheBroonery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm using a foam stopper on the flask, so no airlock. The thing just looks like stagnant chocolate milk when I turn off the stir plate, and no sediment at the bottom at all. I'll turn the stirplate off now before I go to work today and see if any sediment forms.

But the bottom line is - you guys think it's good to go anyways and I should proceed with the brew this afternoon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
All he needs to do, and what I recommend everyone do, is turn the plate off after 24 hours and let the yeast settle.

It's not going to flocculate if it's riding the tilt o whirl, nor will a krausen easily form on the sides either.

But just stopping the spinner and checking after an hour or two to see if the yeast has fallen, or even is there's a lot of suspended yeast particles is enough.
Normally i agree, Revvy. But in this case he has a 400 mL starter. He didn't double his yeast count or anything that significant. I think its going to look a lot like it would if nothing had happened. 125 billion cells in 400 mL is probably going to look a lot like the 100 billion cells he intially pitched in 400 mL.

So while I agree that his starter is done and all is well, i don't think that the visual test would confirm a lot in this case. Just my opinion.

Fake it til you make it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply