Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter newb Q

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
NAVET
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Starter newb Q

This may sound like a pretty simple question, but when making a starter on a stir plate, after approx 12-18 hours (according to the Mr Malty directions) it should be ready to pitch into your wort. Do you allow it to settle, pour off some of the liquid and pitch the slurry or do you pitch it all while the yeast is suspended in solution?

I looked around and if this has been addressed someplace else, I missed it. Sorry.

Moderators, would you move this over to the Yeaast/Fermentation area. Sorry about that.

A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Last edited by NAVET; 12-14-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong area

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Whether I pitch the whole starter or let the yeast settle depends on how long in advance I remember to make it and how big the starter is. If it's a very light beer, I don't recommend pitching the whole starter ever. If it's a stout or porter, you'll never notice even if you pitch a full litre.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
KellyK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I always crash and decant - meaning when the starter is ready put it in your refrigerator and let the yeast settle down to the bottom and gently pour the clear wort off the top. When you pour off the top, put some in a glass and taste it - that has the added benefit of making sure your starter isn't infected before you put it in your beer. Leave just enough liquid in the starter to shake and dislodge the yeast from the bottom. Why do this? Your starters are generally not made under the best temperature conditions. The starter wort can contain off flavors, esters, etc, that are not desirable in the finished beer product.

Quick Reply