Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter length of time on the stir plate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
biggrizzly
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Starter length of time on the stir plate?

Do I leave my yeast starter on the stir plate until the end of fermentation? How do I know I'm done and ready for pitching?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I just started doing the same...so curious to see the answers. I stopped a few hours after the kreusen receded...about 12 hours.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
captwalt
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I saw a white labs video on YouTube and the guy, who looks like he knows z thong or two about yeast, says that it is done in 18 to 24 hours. After that you're just beating them up.
If I recall from biology 101, fermentation is anaerobic meaning it doesn't take place on the presence of oxygen. I put all this together to mean, and I practice, 18 to 24 hours on the to reproduce then I let it sit for another 12 to 24 hours at room temp to feed then I put in the fridge for a day or so to fall out. This way the yeast reproduce under optimal conditions, then they are well fed, then they sleep until I need them again which is typically right away for a batch if beer or a bigger starter.
Disclaimer: I am a humble home brewer and don't have anything except heresay and conjecture to back this up. Im also not sure if this works like I think it does but I have made viable healthy sufficient starters this way. May be it's an accident, may be I'm doing it all wrong and I don't know anything about it but I'm sticking with what works and I would like to share. If somebody does know better I would also like to hear it

Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

About 24 hours if you leave the foil loose. If the foil is tight, I find it takes another few hours to finish.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i don't think it matters as long as they are in suspension. i don't see how you are beating them up when they are microscopic. i have left the starter go for a few days. i usually look for a change in color of the starter. it will lighten and become thick with yeast.

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Here is some good information from Yeast Calc on doing a starter. Looks like I will go to 24 hours with my stirplate as I was cutting it short at 12 hours.

I still need to find some ferm-cap S to stop the Kreusen from overflowing my flask. (not at my LHBS)

http://www.yeastcalc.com/careandfeeding.html

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
bmac
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Like others have said, i usually keep my starter on the stir plate for 24 hours and then another 24 hours at room temp. I cold crash in the fridge until brew day then let the starter sit at room temp, decant most of the liquid and pitch.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I've had it on the stir plate for 72-80 hours before with a 2L starter. There were obvious changes up to about 55 hours, with the starter becoming significantly more 'milky' - after that time any changes were not noticable to me. Killed the stir plate at the beginning of my brew day, dumped the whole starter in the wort, had ferrocious fermentation within a few hours.

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest
10gal Southern Pecan Ale
5gal Winter Spice Ale

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Oktoberfest
Keg 3: Southern Pecan
Keg 4: Winter Spice Ale

Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 171

From what I have come to understand (Wyeast and White Labs info) is that the yeast will be reproducing for 18-24 hours. After that you are not gaining in cell count, just continuing to ferment the starter wort. I have gone a little longer with no ill effects. If you are watching and see a delayed start you may want to go longer but if everything is normal there is probably no need to.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

wouldn't the presence of oxygen give the little buggers the proper condition for propagation and not fermentation? isn't that what a stir plate does? keeps the oxygen content to where propogation would possible and keeps them from fermenting. so why would the yeast stop reproducing after 18-24 hours?

i am so confused have i been doing this wrong the whole time?

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Quick Reply