Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter: I don't have DME!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
RyanDC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starter: I don't have DME!

How can I use dextrose (table sugar, right?) instead? Is there some kind of conversion ratio? My LHBS is far. Tried searching the threads but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Search Goya Malta..

It is often used to make starters. You should be able to buy it at your grocery store.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

With DME I generally shoot for a starting gravity of 1.04. Just add dextrose (corn sugar) to your water til you get that gravity and you should be fine.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Just use some of the wort from the mash, dilute to appropriate strength, bring to a boil on stove, chill and start your starter. Run the rest of your brew day and pitch your yeast the next day. Unless you're making a giant beer that requires more than one step up, I'd think that would be fine. Most of the yeast growth is done after 8-12 hours anyway. At least thats my understanding.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #5
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1419 Times on 1026 Posts
Likes Given: 598

I'd think using simple sugar as opposed to malt is a very bad idea. It's going to provide zero of the nutrients that yeast need for healthy growth. Would probably run into problems with fermentation after you pitch the starter.

Up Next: English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: Best Bitter
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
Kirkwooder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 42

You can also boil potatoes or rice and use the water. again you'll need to check your gravity. I've never done it but I read it in one of my books.

Beer is good, no beer is very bad!

Fridge is full and I can't stack anymore cases in the closet. I need to drink more!

Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #7
RyanDC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf
Search Goya Malta..

It is often used to make starters. You should be able to buy it at your grocery store.
Huh, never would have thought to use Malta but it makes sense. I was looking for an actual conversion ratio of maltose to dextrose but if not, I might take a shot at that. Or just hoof it over to Virginia to my closest LHBS for some DME. it's too late tonight to get anything started so I might just make the trip for the real deal tm and buy enough to last me a while.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
I'd think using simple sugar as opposed to malt is a very bad idea. It's going to provide zero of the nutrients that yeast need for healthy growth. Would probably run into problems with fermentation after you pitch the starter.
winning answer.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
I was just watching a video the other day on this, and then said the exact same thing. Now if you have yeast nutrient handy to add in, then "maybe" you could try it.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson View Post
Just use some of the wort from the mash, dilute to appropriate strength, bring to a boil on stove, chill and start your starter. Run the rest of your brew day and pitch your yeast the next day. Unless you're making a giant beer that requires more than one step up, I'd think that would be fine. Most of the yeast growth is done after 8-12 hours anyway. At least thats my understanding.
This. Make a 1 to 2 liter starter with the real wort, ferment at 65 and toss it in at hIgh krausen. I've done it several times and it works great... Plus you don't have to hover over the beer while it cools. Just drop the temp of your beer to the low 100s, transfer to your fermenter and seal it up for ten hours before pitching. It will be close to room temp by the time your starter is ready

Quick Reply