Starter for a Hefeweissen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I saved and washed some 3068 from a Dunkelweiss a few weeks back. I'm about to brew a Hefe with some of the saved yeast.

Do I need a starter for a hefe? Or, can I just warm up the jar and pitch it?

This is not a high gravity beer, it is not a lager, and the yeast is not old, so I am up in the air over making up a starter.

Up to now, I have just used smack packs or dry yeast.

:confused:

it depends. how much slurry do you have. if its enough then you can pitch it. if not make a starter. simple as that.

Or, can I just warm up the jar and pitch it?

hb99 gives a solid viewpoint.

Although I agree, starters are great, I am lazy. I harvest slurry and straight pitch it... especially on beers that are estery like wheats. some people suggest underpitching wheats, some starters. i have had great results pitching slurry (even 6 month old slurry: mr malty.com has an aging calculator)

also this tid bit on cold pitching yeast is interesting. I have not tried it yet, but i sure will! i saw it the other day when revvy cited an article there on overnight mashing in another thread.

Since this is my first time using washed yeast, I went ahead and made a little starter. I pitched it into the wort last night.

WOW!!!

Even with Fermcap, the foam was coming out of the airlock this morning. I had to put on a blowoff tube.

:D

Back