The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter exploded What happened?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Tilldeath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Starter exploded What happened?

I made my first starter using my stirplate for the first time and at about 14 hr. In I noticed nothing had changed in apperance so I stopped my stirplate lifted the foil smelled, it smelled like it was fermenting and once the starter had stopped moving I could see the carbondioxide being produced, I started it back up and the starter took off, lost a little bit but didn't really effect my primary fermentation, so it was a good starter. My question is next time if I just let it run and not stop it will I have this problem?? Or was my problem the fact I was making a liter starter in a liter flask? Ie no room??

“If we will disbelieve everything, because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much what as wisely as he who would not use his legs, but sit still and perish, because he had no wings to fly.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you stopped it while the yeast was still fermenting, they were adding a bunch of dissolved CO2 to the starter. When you turned the stir plate back on, you knocked all of that out at once, so of course it's going to "explode". Take an open beer and shake it up, what happens?

Old 11-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Tilldeath
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I figured that was the case, thanks for the reassurance sometimes I think my logic's right but not always sure.

“If we will disbelieve everything, because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much what as wisely as he who would not use his legs, but sit still and perish, because he had no wings to fly.”

Quick Reply