Starter exploded What happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
I made my first starter using my stirplate for the first time and at about 14 hr. In I noticed nothing had changed in apperance so I stopped my stirplate lifted the foil smelled, it smelled like it was fermenting and once the starter had stopped moving I could see the carbondioxide being produced, I started it back up and the starter took off, lost a little bit but didn't really effect my primary fermentation, so it was a good starter. My question is next time if I just let it run and not stop it will I have this problem?? Or was my problem the fact I was making a liter starter in a liter flask? Ie no room??

If you stopped it while the yeast was still fermenting, they were adding a bunch of dissolved CO2 to the starter. When you turned the stir plate back on, you knocked all of that out at once, so of course it's going to "explode". Take an open beer and shake it up, what happens?

I figured that was the case, thanks for the reassurance sometimes I think my logic's right but not always sure.

Latest posts

Back