Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter for Dunkelweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
hefehawk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Starter for Dunkelweizen

Ordered a Dunkelweizen kit and the Wyeast 3068 smack pack arrived partially inflated. Plan to brew this weekend so I think I will build a starter tonight and then decant for it to be ready to pitch. I don't want 200 billion cells for this beer as I like the banana flavor.

What would be your recommendation for how big of a starter I need? I was thinking of building a one liter starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefehawk
Ordered a Dunkelweizen kit and the Wyeast 3068 smack pack arrived partially inflated. Plan to brew this weekend so I think I will build a starter tonight and then decant for it to be ready to pitch. I don't want 200 billion cells for this beer as I like the banana flavor.

What would be your recommendation for how big of a starter I need? I was thinking of building a one liter starter.
Www.yeastcalc.com
Use this to calculate your first step and just slightly under pitch.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
CJLong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I also like yeastcalc.com. I remember hearing from a webcast from someone from wyeast that for a hefeweizen, pitch 6-12 million cells/mL, depending on what you want to accentuate. Since you are shooting for more banana, then closer to 6 mil/mL would be good. According to yeastcalc.com, a 1 liter starter with no aeration (not even intermittent shaking) will give you about 7.4 if the viability of the pack is high (97%), so 1 liter might work great for you. When I brewed a dunkelweizen last month with this yeast, I used a 1L starter on a stir plate so I could freeze some of the yeast and still get about 9 million/ml. I think I ended up pitching a little higher, at like 10 or 11 million/mL, and I can definitely taste and smell the banana, but it is a little more subdued than I'm sure you'd want.

Quick Reply