LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
silverhammer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Starter blew off

Hi all,
I'm brewing a big american barleywine today, and I stepped up my original yeast starter with a 2nd 3 litre a few days ago. It blew off a litte, I don't think I lost a great deal of yeast, what I'm more concerned about is the crusty yeast that's formed around the lip of my 1 gallon jug. It was all covered with foil, but it gives me the heebie jeebies pouring through that. Is there any worry of contamination or am I being too concerned? I will use a flame around the lip before pouring.
cheers and hoppy holidays!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
plinythebadass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Your only using a 1 gallon jug but you added 3 MORE litres of starter? Where is there room for the wort?! I'm confused :/

In Fermentor(s) Nothing!

In Works Finishing up my two tier RIMS system! Then a plethora of beers to come! Also...I really want to try and brew a nice high alcohol brew, I'm a college kid...excuses.

600 HOUSE BREWING COMPANY "We Dare You"

Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
silverhammer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I decanted the first starter so there was only yeast, then pitched it into a 3 litre starter

Quick Reply