Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Started to ferment again after 12 days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Jesse77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Started to ferment again after 12 days

I am kinda stumped here. Dark Ale had fermented really heavily the first two days and then subsided as normal. I have just been letting it sit in primary. Temps went it bit high at one point 75 -76 but have been back down to 73. It's really weird. Never saw this happen or heard of it before. What you guys think? It probably has to do with Temperatures right ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Are you sure there wasn't a leak around the rubber stopper/blow-off tube? A few degrees of temperature difference really wouldn't do that, in my opinion. I bet it was still going, but you didn't notice it because of a potential leak somewhere. Did you rouse the yeast at all during that time to kick-start it again?

Old 08-07-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 467

Are you using an airlock? I just had one that didn't seem to finish in ten days. The Fg was a tad high

A couple of the last bottles I capped bulged the cap the first 24 hours and I'm asking my self...

Did it not finish?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse77 View Post
I am kinda stumped here. Dark Ale had fermented really heavily the first two days and then subsided as normal. I have just been letting it sit in primary. Temps went it bit high at one point 75 -76 but have been back down to 73. It's really weird. Never saw this happen or heard of it before. What you guys think? It probably has to do with Temperatures right ?
What evidence do you have that it's fermenting again? That's basically a way of asking what hydrometer readings you've gotten--something like the airlock bubbling is not necessarily a sign that fermentation is taking place (especially but not only when there's been a temp change, weather change, or the fermenter's been moved).

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 08-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
What evidence do you have that it's fermenting again? That's basically a way of asking what hydrometer readings you've gotten--something like the airlock bubbling is not necessarily a sign that fermentation is taking place (especially but not only when there's been a temp change, weather change, or the fermenter's been moved).
..you're saying that it may just have been the movement making the CO2 come out of solution like when you pour a glass of beer?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome View Post
..you're saying that it may just have been the movement making the CO2 come out of solution like when you pour a glass of beer?
Raising the temperature can make CO2 come out of solution, and even if it doesn't can expand the gas in the headspace and cause the airlock to bubble.

Moving the beer can make CO2 come out of solution or slightly distort the fermenter and cause the airlock to bubble.

A change in weather (e.g. a low-pressure front moving through) can decrease the external air pressure and cause the airlock to bubble.

A hydrometer can tell you if fermentation is happening. An airlock can tell you if the airlock is bubbling.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Jesse77
Recipes 

Thanks

Last edited by Jesse77; 08-20-2010 at 03:01 AM.

Quick Reply