Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Sport drink fridge for fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
mjc8870
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sport drink fridge for fermentation

I have a "rock star " sport drink frig. I am looking to use this for fermenting mostly ales and the occasional lager. My ferm bucket seems to fit with airlock with a little room to spare. Would this be ok to use with a temp controller?

If so, would the johnson dial controller be ok? Where is a good/cheap place to purchase?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I believe there was a tread on here before about somebody using a Gatorade or Red Bull round fridge to ferment in. I can't see why a Johnson controller wouldn't work.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 701 Times on 494 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Ha! I just happened to see one of those the other day and thought "wow, it doesn't have the compressor bump at the bottom - what a perfect fermentation fridge!" Total beer nerd moment.

Anyway, I'm sure others will comment on the electronics. But sounds like you made a good find.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use a rockstar and a red bull can shaped fridge. They work fine with a Johnson controller -- I have the digital models.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
mjc8870
Recipes 

My frig doesn't have a dial for settings inside. Will this be ok just to plug in and set johnson control.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc8870 View Post
My frig doesn't have a dial for settings inside. Will this be ok just to plug in and set johnson control.
It's designed go keep things at refrigerator/beverage temps. It can get much colder than you will need for fermentation purposes. I think you would be fine just plugging it into a Johnson controller.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply