Speidel Plastic Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I just got one of these. I learned to late that it would not fit in my fermentation chamber with the airlock on and it was too late to make another adjustment, so I just sanitized the cap and tightened a through threads so C)2 could escape but nothing else could get in. After fermentation started, some of the yeast cropped out through the threads and I have been wiping it up and spraying around it with sanitizer.

Do you think anything is getting in there?

You will be good. I got rid of that monster air lock. Get a rubber bung and use a regular air lock. Or you can make a setup that you to use a blowoff hose.

The main purpose of the airlock it to keep things like flies out so they don't dive in, succumb to the oxygen lack and die, contaminating your beer. I really doubt you have many flies in your fermentation chamber so you probably don't even need the lid on your fermenter.

Cool. Thanks. That's sort of what I was thinking. Just thought about it more as it got a little sloppy with all the yeast that cropped out. I just cleaned it all up pretty good to get it ready for some dry hopping.

You will be good. I got rid of that monster air lock. Get a rubber bung and use a regular air lock. Or you can make a setup that you to use a blowoff hose.

I also realized that I did not turn the spigot while sanitizing to make sure all parts were clean. I dunked it in starsan solution and sprayed it. It was fresh out the bag from the manufacturer. Fingers crossed there were no nasties up in that part of the spigot that turns and may not have gotten dosed with sanitizer. I think I am probably good though.

Back