Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Specific gravity reading 1.000 - help please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Wcampbell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Specific gravity reading 1.000 - help please

I'm new at this and completed brewing an IPA a few days ago. The OG was 1.041 and the yeast seemed to be fermenting normally. I checked the SG yesterday, as the foam had subsided, and the SG was at 1.000 (same as water). The brew smells and tastes fine but the numbers aren't adding up. What should I do? Buy a new hydrometer? Pitch it and start over? Add new yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
DGibb
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

How long has this been in primary? Starting at 1.041 and finishing at 1.000 would yield a 5.4% ABV brew.

Did you use a kit? If you did, did the directions predict the final gravity?

All that the final gravity of 1.000 means is that the density of the beer is the same as water; that all of the sugars have fermented out.

There is absolutely no reason to repitch yeast or pitch the beer! The yeast did its job! Relax, don't worry, have a home brew (or if you're new to this, a craft brew).

Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 65 Posts

Gravity is a measure of suspended solids in relation to water. Another way to think of it is how thick it is as compared to pure water at roughly room temp.
In a nutshell, beer is sugar ( thicker than water = value greater than 1.000), water( water = 1.000), and alcohol ( thinner than water = value less than 1.000).
When you take a measurement in fermented beer you are measuring the result of all of these things. Therefore it is quite possible to have a 1.000 and have absolutely nothing wrong with anything.
That being said, it is kind of unusual to have a beer that is that close to 1.000 unless you added sugar or other adjunct grains that would ferment compleatly out, or if the wort was very weak to begin with.
Malt extracts and malted grains will usually ferment out to somewhere between 1.020 to around 1.005. Unless it was something unusual. I would think a FG would fall in that range.

Cheers

Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

DOn't forget to correct the reading for the temperature of the beer. Hydrometer's are calibrates to read 1.000 in water at a certain temp. Usually 60*F or 65*F and have a correction factor of something like 0.002ish per 3-5*F. You'll have to look at your hydrometer or the info that came with it to see what the correction factor is for yours.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

ps I agree w/ the other posters. Your beer is probably fine. Try not to fret.

Drinking 'merc

Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Wcampbell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGibb
How long has this been in primary? Starting at 1.041 and finishing at 1.000 would yield a 5.4% ABV brew.

Did you use a kit? If you did, did the directions predict the final gravity?

All that the final gravity of 1.000 means is that the density of the beer is the same as water; that all of the sugars have fermented out.

There is absolutely no reason to repitch yeast or pitch the beer! The yeast did its job! Relax, don't worry, have a home brew (or if you're new to this, a craft brew).

Wow, thanks for the quick response and great info! I feel a whole lot better about the situation now. It has been in the primary for 4 days now. I used a Cooper's IPA kit and added some additional Cascade hops (2oz) in the form of an 8min boil hop tea. The prediction in the kit stated an initial of 1.042 and Final of 1.006; so I guess we're not that far off. I'll do exactly what you said.....relax for another week or so and then bottle my new brewed IPA.

One more question....I'm planning on doing bottle carbonation, so how long should an IPA be bottled before trying. I was thinking in the neighborhood of about 4 weeks.

Thanks again for the good advice!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Three to four weeks is pretty much the standard amount of time for carbonation to take place. It may happen quicker or slower depending on the beer. I'd give it three weeks and then sample it.

If God made anything better than beer, apple pie, and women (in that order)...he kept it for himself.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
starsailor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BTW, it is possible to end up with a FG < 1.000. I haven't seen it with a beer yet, but I get it fermenting cider all the time because it completely ferments out all the sugars leaving essentially ethanol mixed with water.

Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Old 01-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcampbell
I used a Cooper's IPA kit and added some additional Cascade hops (2oz) in the form of an 8min boil hop tea. The prediction in the kit stated an initial of 1.042 and Final of 1.006;
Hop tea? How much volume was the kit for ( I'm assuming 5 gal) and how much did you have when your fermenter first filled ?

1.042 is not a big beer at all and If there was any additional water added from the hop tea to the 5 gal volume you probably do have a 1.000 FG beer. Good job.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGibb View Post
under normal circumstances (no bugs or brett), you will almost never (maybe in a saison) get a gravity of 1.000 in an ale. malt is not made up of 100% fermentable sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
Gravity is a measure of suspended solids in relation to water.
you mean dissolved. suspended solids have no effect on a hydrometer

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS