Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Sour beer every time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
OKCAg2002
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
My guess is not waiting long enough for the process to complete....
Possible. The bock went for about two months at the correct temps so I'm not sure about that one. I may have bottled the flat tire clone too early.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #22
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Do your beers look infected? Although beer can be infected without visual signs. after this many batches I would say its aceldehywhateverthefckitis. My extract brews had this flavour. Every one of them and I chalked it up to the unboiled tap water I was adding was somehow causing this flavour. The cure? All grain and never look back

Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(

Old 12-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #23
jeremy0209
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Check your bottling bucket spigot (if you're using a three piece). This got me and ruined a couple of batches in a row. **** gets stuck in between the two pieces and grows bacteria, infecting your beer. I know nothing is supposed to get in there, but it does. Run some hot water over it and pull it apart (believe me, it will come apart) and clean in between the pieces. I started using a two piece spigot that doesn't swivel for this exact reason.

Primary: :(
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Kegs: Mental Health Day English Bitter
Up Next: The Lawnmower
Puzzle Piece Brewery on Facebook...when I'm not too lazy to update it.

IslandLizard Likes This 
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #24
OKCAg2002
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtires View Post
Do your beers look infected? Although beer can be infected without visual signs. after this many batches I would say its aceldehywhateverthefckitis. My extract brews had this flavour. Every one of them and I chalked it up to the unboiled tap water I was adding was somehow causing this flavour. The cure? All grain and never look back
I'm planning on going all grain after the holidays! I'm done with extract twang (and I think it actually exists).

Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
OKCAg2002
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy0209 View Post
Check your bottling bucket spigot (if you're using a three piece). This got me and ruined a couple of batches in a row. **** gets stuck in between the two pieces and grows bacteria, infecting your beer. I know nothing is supposed to get in there, but it does. Run some hot water over it and pull it apart (believe me, it will come apart) and clean in between the pieces. I started using a two piece spigot that doesn't swivel for this exact reason.
Good call. I'll check it ASAP. I have one of those swivel taps as well.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #26
BackAlley
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCAg2002
A quarter? It's more like several dollars per batch if you don't reuse it. 5 gallons on bottling day and 5 gallons on brew day. It adds up. Maybe I'm just cheap.
Huh? Several dollars? You mix one ounce per 5 gallons and you shouldn't need 5g for a brew day. I mix 2.5 in a 5g bucket and that's more than enough

Old 12-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #27
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackAlley View Post
Huh? Several dollars? You mix one ounce per 5 gallons and you shouldn't need 5g for a brew day. I mix 2.5 in a 5g bucket and that's more than enough

It's a contact sanitizer. You don't need to fill the bucket and the carboy and all that. I usually make just a 1Qt spray bottle full. Pour a little in the carboy and swirl it around spray it through tubing and onto other implements and I've done this for hundreds of batches. There is no need to make gallons and gallons of the stuff each time you brew.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #28
OKCAg2002
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sweet. That's great advice and much cheaper than doing a 5 gallon batch. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #29
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 330 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 1038

Default Just an observation regarding double posts...

I really resent that this poster has the same sour beer problem being discussed in 2 different forums. Here's the other one.

We've doubled up on pretty much every solution regarding contamination, bottling buckets, spigots etc. I think one of these threads ought to be closed. This one is in Fermentation & Yeast and sanitation has little to do with that. The other thread is in the beginners forum, where issues like that are common and in the right place.

We shouldn't lose the wisdom of these 2 threads so i do not suggest deleting one of them.

It is just really bad forum etiquette to have double threads running. And a waste of time.
==================================================
[EDIT] Looks like the other thread continues. Let's stop posting on this one.
==================================================

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Last edited by IslandLizard; 12-21-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: [EDIT]

Quick Reply