Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Sometimes I just don't understand yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Bartman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sometimes I just don't understand yeast

I brewed an oatmeal stout 1.072 OG. Racked it onto a yeast cake, S-04 from a previous brew that had 1.080 OG and 1.023 FG. Started quickly and stopped suddenly at 1.033 and stayed that way for a week or so. I brewed another IPA with S-05. I racked the stout onto the S-05 cake and within 6 hours the krausen was about 3 inches high and the yeast are working again.

Before I racked it I tried stirring and bringing the temp up to 70F and no activity.

Now, what actually caused the stout to start fermenting again?
The different yeast? The big move? Luck?

Bottled: Vertical Epic 090909 clone
90 schilling english
Hopmaster Imperial IPA
Simcoe IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I tell you what, let's work together: if you can figure out women, I'll try to figure out yeast.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
I brewed an oatmeal stout 1.072 OG. Racked it onto a yeast cake, S-04 from a previous brew that had 1.080 OG
I wouldn't reuse yeast that has seen > 1.050 OG. Anything above that is technically toxic to the cells. My thoughts are those yeast were incredibly stressed and just didn't want to ferment anything else.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I wouldn't reuse yeast that has seen > 1.050 OG. Anything above that is technically toxic to the cells. My thoughts are those yeast were incredibly stressed and just didn't want to ferment anything else.
I hadn't heard this before, but it seems reasonable to me. That's why I don't pitch on an old cake/wash/otherwise reuse yeast that had brewed an actual beer - I take and store about a pint of my starter and use that to build my next starter. I repeat and I can get about 5 uses from a single pkg of liquid yeast. No need to wash the yeast, just chill and decant the wort off the yeast on. My experience is that these subsequent starters start at least as fast as the original.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

You overpitched dramatically. That causes the excess yeast cells to compete for available nutrients and the result is way more yeast than you need, all of them unhealthy.

Quick Reply