Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Solutions for high temp fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
brett1341
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Solutions for high temp fermentation

I have an amber ale that I bottled about 2.5 weeks ago. It has a strong alcohol taste on the finish that is really off-putting for me. I used one pack of dry Nottingham yeast, which I probably under pitched (starting gravity 1.066). I let it ferment in a closet for 3 weeks at an ambient temperature of 69-70*, which I now realize was too high of a temp, and it got down to 1.010. Any solutions for getting rid of, or minimizing, the strong alcohol taste? Any chance of it fixing itself with aging in the bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Nottingham is supposed to throw some rather nasty flavours if fermented anywhere near the top of its range so I'd say, if "a strong alcohol taste on the finish" is all you got you've ended up pretty lucky. It's only been in the bottle 2.5 weeks so it'll still, more than likely, be a bit green. 1.066 to 1.010 is pretty good attenuation and it would be quite strong. Yes, Just give it another couple to three weeks, chuck one or two in the fridge, for a few days to a week, and see how it's progressed. It could, more than likely, do with a few more weeks warm conditioning after that before coming into its prime.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1230 Times on 995 Posts

If you could include "hot", "slick", and/or "solventy" in your impressions of this brew in its current state, you probably are tasting fusel alcohols resulting from a hot primary fermentation.

Don't know that there's anything aside from time, perhaps, that could be done...

Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
brett1341
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not very good at describing taste other than 'good' and 'bad', but, solventy may be accurate. I've never we experimented with blending before, but could that work with a pale ale or would the off taste from the amber overpower it?

Old 11-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Rahahb
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm not sure on it, but fusel alcohols do not go away. IE, something that can't be fixed with time.

Hopefully, the greenness of it is adding to your distaste and in a few weeks will at least be drinkable.

EDIT: Some people say fusels can diminish over time. Couldn't find any definitive info on that just now though. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
fixitoscar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It wont go totally away but it will mellow with time. give them another 3 weeks or so in a cool dark place, and see if they become drinkable.
You should figure out a way to keep those temperatures down for the first 36-48 hours of the ferment. a water bath and some frozen water bottles is the cheapest way.

Quick Reply