Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Smell my bung! Time to transfer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
brewzombie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Smell my bung! Time to transfer!

My latest batch has been about a week in the primary and the bung burps have slowed down to about 1 per minute. For some reason, I've taken to sniffing the bung periodically during this entire week and I've noticed that the scent of the burps changed quite clearly from a distinctly yeasty smell to a distinctly beery smell. Since I ferment in an opaque bucket, I can't see if the Krausen has fallen and have been misled before by using the rate of burping as a sign for when I should rack. Maybe smell is a good way to tell when it's ready to transfer, at least as a prelude to checking the specific gravity (I don't like opening my bucket until I'm pretty sure it's time to transfer).

Anyone else notice this? Am I the only one who likes to smell a bung once n' awhile?

I haven't opened the bucket to measure the specific gravity to verify my theory and I don't intend to as I now keep my beer in the primary for a month and then go straight to bottling...but maybe someone else will run the test.

"glaaahhrb!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewzombie View Post
My latest batch has been about a week in the primary and the bung burps have slowed down to about 1 per minute. For some reason, I've taken to sniffing the bung periodically during this entire week and I've noticed that the scent of the burps changed quite clearly from a distinctly yeasty smell to a distinctly beery smell. Since I ferment in an opaque bucket, I can't see if the Krausen has fallen and have been misled before by using the rate of burping as a sign for when I should rack. Maybe smell is a good way to tell when it's ready to transfer, at least as a prelude to checking the specific gravity (I don't like opening my bucket until I'm pretty sure it's time to transfer).

Anyone else notice this? Am I the only one who likes to smell a bung once n' awhile?

I haven't opened the bucket to measure the specific gravity to verify my theory and I don't intend to as I now keep my beer in the primary for a month and then go straight to bottling...but maybe someone else will run the test.
No way i'm smelling your fvckin' bung. You can stick a piece of sanitzed hose with a turkey baster on the end, and draw out enough for a test, but i don't worry about it either, And, yes, I love the smell of fermenting beer. But i use carboys so ii can watch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply