Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Smallest Fermentation Fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
gio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refect View Post
i have been wanting to get one myself, but have noticed that the haier is no longer available; and if you find one it is priced really high compared to what it used to be at target. i have been searching like crazy for the last few days for something similar and i found one. it uses the same thermoelectric cooling as the haier nucool so it shouldnt have that compressor hump that gets in the way. it isnt cheaper by much, but the web site i found has it for $135 shipped. amazon has it at $122, but im not sure what shipping charges are. The name of the fridge is an avanti superconductor 2.5 cu-ft fridge (SHP2501B). slightly smaller than the haier, but target.com (who has it priced at $169) has the interior dimensions at....Interior Depth 18.5" ; Refrigerator Interior Height. 27.0 "; Refrigerator Interior Width 15.0." after measuring my bucket and 5gal glass carboy i think it will fit with an airlock and have a little room left. the website that is selling it for 135 shipped has the dimensions listed at 29" H x 17" W x 20.5" D. not sure which to believe, but both measurements should work. links are below...

http://www.homeeverything.com/web/si...6&ref=cFroogle

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSN10001

i am considering ordering this since it is the next smallest thing i could find for a decent price.

EDIT:
i decided to pick up one of these avanti's from that homeeverything.com website i listed above for $135 shipped. i think they have some sale going on where there is free shipping so i decided to jump on it. wish the old haiers were still around for $70, but this seems to be the next best thing i could find, and compared to the 180 + shipping that they are now, this one doesnt seem too bad. i'll post a follow up when it gets here.
homeeverything.com no longer has them on sale. The best choice right now is amazon.com which has them for $122 (not sure about shipping). I might order one today since I can't find the Haier anywhere for less than $180.

Primary 1: Oskar Blues Gordon Clone
Secondary 2: Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale Clone
Secondary 3: Pre-prohibition American Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Bottle Conditioning: Cherry Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: Rochefort 10 Clone
Drinking: Westvleteren 12 Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
refect
Recipes 

my fridge is on back order right now. hopefully i will have it some time next week and can get it going with some results.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
gnatp2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
my fridge is on back order right now. hopefully i will have it some time next week and can get it going with some results.
I waited 3 weeks for my "backordered" Haier Nucool which I eventually gave up on. Hope you have better luck.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I found a NuCool on Craigslist and bought it for $50. (BTW, there are threads on here about NuCool) It works well so far (my first NuCool batch is finishing up today). Keep in mind that you do have to carve the shelves out. But once you do, it fits an ale pail with no worries. And its very, very quiet and has a small footprint. Check out craigslist in your area - no one has it in stock online.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I just looked on craigslist NYC - there is a NuCool in Newburgh/New Windsor/The Mount posted yesterday. $50 obo. May not last long for anyone else reading this thread...

Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
gio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
i have been wanting to get one myself, but have noticed that the haier is no longer available; and if you find one it is priced really high compared to what it used to be at target. i have been searching like crazy for the last few days for something similar and i found one. it uses the same thermoelectric cooling as the haier nucool so it shouldnt have that compressor hump that gets in the way. it isnt cheaper by much, but the web site i found has it for $135 shipped. amazon has it at $122, but im not sure what shipping charges are. The name of the fridge is an avanti superconductor 2.5 cu-ft fridge (SHP2501B). slightly smaller than the haier, but target.com (who has it priced at $169) has the interior dimensions at....Interior Depth 18.5" ; Refrigerator Interior Height. 27.0 "; Refrigerator Interior Width 15.0." after measuring my bucket and 5gal glass carboy i think it will fit with an airlock and have a little room left. the website that is selling it for 135 shipped has the dimensions listed at 29" H x 17" W x 20.5" D. not sure which to believe, but both measurements should work. links are below...

http://www.homeeverything.com/web/si...6&ref=cFroogle

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSN10001

i am considering ordering this since it is the next smallest thing i could find for a decent price.

EDIT:
i decided to pick up one of these avanti's from that homeeverything.com website i listed above for $135 shipped. i think they have some sale going on where there is free shipping so i decided to jump on it. wish the old haiers were still around for $70, but this seems to be the next best thing i could find, and compared to the 180 + shipping that they are now, this one doesnt seem too bad. i'll post a follow up when it gets here.
I got one of the Avantis yesterday. I was $122 plus maybe about $20 for shipping from amazon. It fits a 5 gallon carboy and just barely fit my 6.5 gallon bucket but you need to cut a circle out of the two shelves on the door. It took me about 15 minutes with a dremel and I'm probably going to cover it up with tape afterwards. My tall (I think it's 7.5 gallon) bottling bucket didn't quite fit but it doesn't matter because I don't need to put in in there either.

I put a 3 carboy filled with beer in there last night and set it on max. This morning, about 12 hours later the temperature read 38. The ambient temp in the room was probably around 66. Should be perfect for lagering.

Primary 1: Oskar Blues Gordon Clone
Secondary 2: Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale Clone
Secondary 3: Pre-prohibition American Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Bottle Conditioning: Cherry Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: Rochefort 10 Clone
Drinking: Westvleteren 12 Clone

Old 02-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The Avanti looks alomst identical to the NuCool except it has more space inside??? Isnm't the NuCool a 1.7? I'll have to keep the Avanti in mind if a need a new one.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoungrad View Post
The Avanti looks alomst identical to the NuCool except it has more space inside??? Isnm't the NuCool a 1.7? I'll have to keep the Avanti in mind if a need a new one.
The fermentation-appropriate NuCool is 2.8cf. There is another 1.7cf NuCool, but it is too small.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Damn. Sorry. I think the one on craigslist is the 1.7.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
refect
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
I got one of the Avantis yesterday. I was $122 plus maybe about $20 for shipping from amazon. It fits a 5 gallon carboy and just barely fit my 6.5 gallon bucket but you need to cut a circle out of the two shelves on the door. It took me about 15 minutes with a dremel and I'm probably going to cover it up with tape afterwards. My tall (I think it's 7.5 gallon) bottling bucket didn't quite fit but it doesn't matter because I don't need to put in in there either.

I put a 3 carboy filled with beer in there last night and set it on max. This morning, about 12 hours later the temperature read 38. The ambient temp in the room was probably around 66. Should be perfect for lagering.
Glad to hear this. Can't wait for them to ship my avanti! It's still on back order > maybe I should of went with amazon

Quick Reply