Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Smallest Fermentation Fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
gnatp2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Smallest Fermentation Fridge

I've looked around the forums and it appears that the Haier NuCool 2.8 cubic foot is the smallest fridge you can get that will fit a 5 gallon better bottle with little to no modification. But it looks like the nucool is no longer in production.

Anyone have a recommendation on a similar fridge? I know there are a ton of options out there. My priority is to have it be as small as possible and not have to do a bunch of mod to it. (I don't want to get out 2x4's or anything like that).

The frigidaire 4.4 cubic foot one from Lowes is what I may end up with but I was hoping for smaller.

Nate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
jayrodoh
Recipes 

This one? Never bought from them, but shows in stock.

http://www.oneclickmx.com/Haier-C-RN...or_p_3924.html

Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 AM   #3
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrodoh View Post
This one? Never bought from them, but shows in stock.

http://www.oneclickmx.com/Haier-C-RN...or_p_3924.html
Wowza. I bought my NuCool for $60 not long ago at target. It's a shame these fridges have been killed. They got terrible reviews on the websites because people didn't understand that they could only really manage a 40-50 degree temperature delta. I suspect they got too many angry returns, but they make phenomenal fermentation fridges. Even at $180, I'd consider buying another one now if I had the space for it.

For not much bigger than a single-carboy fridge, you can get a good chest freezer that can hold two carboys. That's not really an answer to your question, of course, but it might be worth considering. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
gnatp2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Yes, I've seen them online at 180$ but that seems a bit pricey to me. Anyone else have good luck with another SMALL footprint fermentation fridge?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
refect
Recipes 

i have been wanting to get one myself, but have noticed that the haier is no longer available; and if you find one it is priced really high compared to what it used to be at target. i have been searching like crazy for the last few days for something similar and i found one. it uses the same thermoelectric cooling as the haier nucool so it shouldnt have that compressor hump that gets in the way. it isnt cheaper by much, but the web site i found has it for $135 shipped. amazon has it at $122, but im not sure what shipping charges are. The name of the fridge is an avanti superconductor 2.5 cu-ft fridge (SHP2501B). slightly smaller than the haier, but target.com (who has it priced at $169) has the interior dimensions at....Interior Depth 18.5" ; Refrigerator Interior Height. 27.0 "; Refrigerator Interior Width 15.0." after measuring my bucket and 5gal glass carboy i think it will fit with an airlock and have a little room left. the website that is selling it for 135 shipped has the dimensions listed at 29" H x 17" W x 20.5" D. not sure which to believe, but both measurements should work. links are below...

http://www.homeeverything.com/web/si...6&ref=cFroogle

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSN10001

i am considering ordering this since it is the next smallest thing i could find for a decent price.

EDIT:
i decided to pick up one of these avanti's from that homeeverything.com website i listed above for $135 shipped. i think they have some sale going on where there is free shipping so i decided to jump on it. wish the old haiers were still around for $70, but this seems to be the next best thing i could find, and compared to the 180 + shipping that they are now, this one doesnt seem too bad. i'll post a follow up when it gets here.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
BloodSweatandBeers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by refect
i have been wanting to get one myself, but have noticed that the haier is no longer available; and if you find one it is priced really high compared to what it used to be at target. i have been searching like crazy for the last few days for something similar and i found one. it uses the same thermoelectric cooling as the haier nucool so it shouldnt have that compressor hump that gets in the way. it isnt cheaper by much, but the web site i found has it for $135 shipped. amazon has it at $122, but im not sure what shipping charges are. The name of the fridge is an avanti superconductor 2.5 cu-ft fridge (SHP2501B). slightly smaller than the haier, but target.com (who has it priced at $169) has the interior dimensions at....Interior Depth 18.5" ; Refrigerator Interior Height. 27.0 "; Refrigerator Interior Width 15.0." after measuring my bucket and 5gal glass carboy i think it will fit with an airlock and have a little room left. the website that is selling it for 135 shipped has the dimensions listed at 29" H x 17" W x 20.5" D. not sure which to believe, but both measurements should work. links are below...

http://www.homeeverything.com/web/si...6&ref=cFroogle

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSN10001

i am considering ordering this since it is the next smallest thing i could find for a decent price.

EDIT:
i decided to pick up one of these avanti's from that homeeverything.com website i listed above for $135 shipped. i think they have some sale going on where there is free shipping so i decided to jump on it. wish the old haiers were still around for $70, but this seems to be the next best thing i could find, and compared to the 180 + shipping that they are now, this one doesnt seem too bad. i'll post a follow up when it gets here.
Yes, please follow up with a review. Could you post temps as well?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
brewguy82
Recipes 

This is a very good thread. Anyone else been using a mini fridge for fermentation?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm using a Frigidare wine chiller for fermentation. With the temp swings here in Texas it was the only thing I could think of that would allow for all year brewing.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
BloodSweatandBeers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust
I'm using a Frigidare wine chiller for fermentation. With the temp swings here in Texas it was the only thing I could think of that would allow for all year brewing.
How big is it? Model?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Frigidaire 42-Bottle Capacity Wine Cooler Model #: LFWC42F5LS

it has the compressor hump in it but it is still big enough to allow a fermentation bucket or carboy with air lock.

Quick Reply