New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Smaller fermentation vessels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
wulfsburg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Smaller fermentation vessels

What do you guys use for smaller fermentation vessels? For say, smaller or split batches?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 3448

The old Mr beer keg works great ( and the neat thing is that you can lager in your fridge with it.) As well as 3 gallon water bottles, 3 gallon better bottles, you can get 3 gallon sized frosting buckets from most bakery sections of grocery stores. If you are going for 6 pack test batches or mead/ciders or even wines 1 gallon glass jugs for cheap wine works great.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a 5 gallon Better Bottle which I can use for secondary on 5g batches or primary on smaller batches. There's no reason a 2.5g batch can't ferment in a 5g pail. I also have a 3 gallon glass carboy which can secondary 3g batches or primary even smaller batches.

I hear people mention the Carlo Rossi wine jugs, but those are only a bargain if you like the wine.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
I have a 5 gallon Better Bottle which I can use for secondary on 5g batches or primary on smaller batches. There's no reason a 2.5g batch can't ferment in a 5g pail. I also have a 3 gallon glass carboy which can secondary 3g batches or primary even smaller batches.

I hear people mention the Carlo Rossi wine jugs, but those are only a bargain if you like the wine.
As Revvy stated , its something I can fit in my fridge for lagering. My main concern is lagering in my keezer, which cannot fit 2 5 gal cornies, my tank and another 5 gallon vessel. Ok, so 3 gallon jugs, anything that is plastic that food comes in essentially?

Perfect

*starts brainstorming*

Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

I totally forgot about the Montana Jars....They come in all different sizes.

From here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/tepache-200053/

And here's info on turning one into a fermenter...

2 1/2 gallon Montana Jar Fermenter

Of course the metal lid in the one from the thread (from target) is important for making an airlock grommet space. Can't easily do it with a glass top.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Revvy, wtf is in there?

Nevermind. I just read the link. :-D

Last edited by wulfsburg; 01-20-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Stupidity

Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, I am looking into getting 2, 2.5 gallon jars or mr beer kegs, and the whole purpose it so I can lager in my keezer. I don't have enough space for a 5 gallon carboy/pail, but I could fit 2 jars or mr.beer's in there. My question is, for a lager , if splitting a normal 5 gallon batch between the 2, will there be a lot of blow off?
When I first started brewing, I was told by my LHBS that I should use something with a lot of head space so a lot of my beer won't blow off and be wasted. My concern, is filling 2 2.5 containers will put them almost at the brim, and they will probably end up coming through my airlock. How much beer will blow off? I have been considering 3 gallon plastic jugs that house water for water coolers, but they arent food grade . . .

Edit: I have always used 6.5 gallons for primary, and I have 1 5 gal carboy for secondary, so I have never had to use a blow off rig, and have no experience with it.

Last edited by wulfsburg; 01-20-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Extra stuff

Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfsburg View Post
So, I am looking into getting 2, 2.5 gallon jars or mr beer kegs, and the whole purpose it so I can lager in my keezer. I don't have enough space for a 5 gallon carboy/pail, but I could fit 2 jars or mr.beer's in there. My question is, for a lager , if splitting a normal 5 gallon batch between the 2, will there be a lot of blow off?
When I first started brewing, I was told by my LHBS that I should use something with a lot of head space so a lot of my beer won't blow off and be wasted. My concern, is filling 2 2.5 containers will put them almost at the brim, and they will probably end up coming through my airlock. How much beer will blow off? I have been considering 3 gallon plastic jugs that house water for water coolers, but they arent food grade . . .

Edit: I have always used 6.5 gallons for primary, and I have 1 5 gal carboy for secondary, so I have never had to use a blow off rig, and have no experience with it.

You're talking about the lager phase, right? Not primary fermentation....if it's just lagering you don't need to worry about blowoff, you actually wanna eliminate as much headspace as possible-Lagering is just a secondary in the cold, really. Are you going to primary in as 5 gallons?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, well I have an Oktoberfest kit (that came with lager yeast) that has been in my primary, fermenting it at an average 60-65 degrees during the day, dipping colder during the night. The kit instructions suggested I do it at ale temps cause I cannot maintain at the suggest lager fermentation temp (50 degrees).

It said the yeast is ideal for lagering/fermenting 50-59 degrees or 64-72 degrees. It has been in for 9 days now. I know fermentation is done, and I was planning on throwing it in my other corny to drink this weekend, but I didn't know if it is ok to drink it that soon, or if it will lager in the secondary, or if lagering is even out of the question due to my primary ferm temps. I am not worried about it, but have never really done a lager before. I would do another lager and adjust my keezer to a steady 50 degrees, and let it ferment in the keezer. Is that not the right thing to do?

I am not 100% sure what lagering is, as to my understanding it is a slow fermentation and aging process in cold temps.

I really dont care about the "intended style and flavor" of the beer, just as long as it tastes good, I don't give a crap. I initially brewed it hoping i could fit it in my keezer, but I can't so it was fermed at ale temps. . .

Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
You can get similar jugs without that crap in it for 4 or 5 bucks at a LHBS.

Quick Reply