Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > a small goof - should i worry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
bankerbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default a small goof - should i worry?

I racked my belgian wit from the primary to the secondary. should have used a carboy but I racked into a bucket. The lid was new and the rubber grommet, gasket, whatever u call it was really tight and a little out of round. I was putting the airlock in and was putting more pressure than usual because it popped thru the lid and fell in the batch.

I had my racking cane and hose already sanitized but no paddle or spoon. I couldn't think of a sure-fire way to get it out so I left it in there.

I know it isn't ruined, but I wonder if that will impart any fine rubbery notes to offset the wheat malt, oats, coriander, orange and hops? I am not too worried about it because I brewed it with ingredients I bought over six months ago. (yeast was new and the hops were refrigerated. the lme was muntons wheat and was about 8 months old.

Anyone have any insight on a piece of rubber (sanitized, of course) in the secondary or using lme that may have been made a year ago? the fermentation is complete, I just racked to a secondary because I haven't had time to bottle. that piece of rubber will force me to wash and sanitize them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

relax, dont worry, and have a home brew. the rubber gasket probably ruined your beer, but, who cares. just brew again and drink great beer while doing it.

"no man, by worrying, ever added a single day to his life."----Jesus of nazareth

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 11-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't worry about it. It won't hurt anything.

The year-old LME, well, it's preferable to use fresh extract, but it'll still probably be okay.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You've done no worse than any of us haver ever done and our beer turned out fine. When you realize this and you drink one of the best beers you ever made, add your story to this thread, and in the mean time read it while you rdwhahb....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
bankerbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwaterbrewer View Post
relax, dont worry, and have a home brew. the rubber gasket probably ruined your beer, but, who cares. just brew again and drink great beer while doing it.

"no man, by worrying, ever added a single day to his life."----Jesus of nazareth
hey, I just gave myself not one but 2 excuses if it tastes like spiced vinegar! thanks for the assist, fellas.

Quick Reply