Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > small bubbles in secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
jazzyeric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default small bubbles in secondary

all of my beers thus far have taken an exceedingly long time to ferment - im talking 3 weeks minimum. keeping everything in large chest freezer with digital controlled thermostat @ 69 previously, bumped it to 72 to try to see if it helps. anyways, ive had an APA fermenting for some time. it krausened, then got to about 1.020, then rekrausened after some gentle swirling. the krausen began to fall and the gravity was right about 1.010. put it in the secondary carboy, expecting it to start clearing. its still very hazy after over a week in the carboy. the odd thing is that it has small bubbles coming up to the top like what youd see out of a wine yeast. using the wyeast american ale. pitched directly on top of previous batches cake. it started off so fast, im just wondering why its taking so long. its at least a month into it right now... probably 6 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You racking it and moving it into the cabinet are two reasons that co2 could be coming out of solution, usually from the trub...doesn't mean you do or don't have fermentation, just that you've disturbed the integrity of the liquid, and co2 is being released.

Changes in temp, barometric pressure, the cat knocing into it, racking it, moving it, ALL can shake co2 loose.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply