Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Small Beer = 0 Krausen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
s3n8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Small Beer = 0 Krausen?

Hi all, made a small batch of ginger/juniper ale with the third runnings of my double bastard ale last Friday. The G/J clocked in around 1.04, and is about 2.5 gallons. I put in a whole whirfloc tab without really thinking, and noticed some very large (bigger than normal) coagulated break-boogers forming after racking to the carboy. I pitched a whole packet of Nottingham dry yeast, didn't even bother to rehydrate. Noticed something odd with the fermentation this time. No krausen to speak of. It definitely fermented. It was churning kinda like normal, but never really had that violent ferment that I usually see. This is by far the smallest beer I have ever made, and was wondering what others experience is with small beers. Could it be the whirfloc? The break boogers never really broke up, and the beer is already quite clear for something 3 days old. Could it be the depth? 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy? Temps in the basement are just below 70, and its sitting on the concrete floor.

Before you RDWHAHB me I am not worried, just curious.

Grainbill for the DB was 14lb MO, 4lb Munich, 1.5lb crystal 120. DB using US-05 has a nice fluffy 2" krausen layer going.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe the yeast?? Was it a part of the recalled batch? I have two small brews going right now (1.038 and 1.036) that had just as much krausen as anything else.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer View Post
Maybe the yeast?? Was it a part of the recalled batch? I have two small brews going right now (1.038 and 1.036) that had just as much krausen as anything else.
Good call, but I checked to make sure it was not part of the recall.

I guess I should have checked the gravity prior to posting, but it is gonna be tough... My thief wont reach and I am not going to rack for at least 2 weeks. It definitely fermented though.

Quick Reply