Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Smack pack still good after smacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
junked89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Smack pack still good after smacking?

I have an already smacked package of wyeast irish ale that took a long time to even partially inflate. I left it out for a couple of days and it got most of the way inflated. How long will the yeast stay good like this? I put it in the fridge this morning....should it stay there? I plan on being able to use it tuesday, should anything be done with it before then? Will the yeast die?

Beginner on a mission

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Refry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What's the mfg date and how was is stored before you smacked it? Also, what was the temp. you had the pack in after you smacked it? If you smacked it and then kept it at 60 degrees F, it won't necessarily expand the same as if it was closer to 70 degrees. It shouldn't take a couple days to puff out.

If it is older, it could affect how it takes off. Doesn't hurt to make a starter and see if they are viable.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

It will be fine . Its no different than me putting my starter in the fridge for a few days to flocculate the yeast . A starter is something you should consider when using liquid yeasts

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply