Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Smack pack not bulging....is it dead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #11
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've had this happen. Still got yeast activity without problems. It just took a little longer for things to start.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #12
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is one of the questions i was embarassed to ask. How big is the inner pouch? If it's the size of a ketchup packet, then that's a lot smaller than what I was expecting. I never actually felt the inner pouch, and no, I'm not sure I even broke it. I've fiddled with this pouch a lot though. I've smacked it a dozen times, I've squeezed it, I've twisted it, I've fondled it to the point I think it may have called the police on me. But it won't budge. If I lay it flat, it's the same size as when I started. I actually just got home from my parents house, which I robbed for anything made out of glass and came up with a perfect vessel for yeast starters, and 6 containers for washing yeast, so I'm thinking maybe I should cut the top off the pack, throw it in the jar, take out the nutrient packet, throw that i the jar, and see what happens. Or maybe I'll just sober up and get some more yeast. I'm brewing a quad, but maybe I should stop messing with those tripels. Got my mind all twisted up.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #13
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

If you can't find the inner pack, don't worry about it. It would be worse to pour out the yeast. You would be opening yourself up to infection. If you can't make a starter, it won't be the end of the world. Maybe expect the beer to finish a little higher than the directions say.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #14
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

this is one of the problems i"ve been trying to avoid. I wanted everything to turn out right for this one, so it's starting to annoy me that things are going wrong. But I should have known to have two packs of yeast ready anyway, just for the high gravity. I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from NB right now, and a high gravity trappist smack pack and a white labs trappist yeast are on my list. as well as nutrient, and a bunch of yeasts for my cider experiment I'm going to run. Hoping craigslist comes through with a few more 1 gallon jugs in the next week though. Got 2 on the way, but i want to have a few more for experiments(at least 5, for 5 gallon experiments). For now though, just hoping this smacker swells up soon, so I can brew this beer and get it conditioning. so far, nothing, 30 hours after my initial attempt at smacking this biotch.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you start at the top, squeezing the pack and working your way to one corner, you can trap the inner packet in the corner and feel if it's smacked or not. If you can't find it, then it was probably popped.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #16
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

well, I never felt it from the beginning. I was looking for a much bigger packet, but I still wasn't ever able to feel anything inside the pouch. Now that I know the size it is, and wat to expect, I'm going to go try to smack this thing again. Thanks again for your help. I'll let ya know how the 5th smacking session goes.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
cfox109
Recipes 

Lets say you couldn't break the smack pack and then pitched the yeast and the contents of the smack pack into a starter, what would be the affects?

Not trying to thread jack this just seemed to be the most relevent thread for the question

Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
TimWeber
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This actually happened to me last week, with the Budvar yeast strain. No swelling after 3 days. I pitched it into a starter and it started fermenting within about 10 hours. The packet was only 6 months old.

A theory I had was that this packet may have gotten too cold while in my fridge, killing a portion of the yeast. So they weren't able to produce as much CO2 as normal. I recommend always making a starter. I haven't had a infected beer since I started using starters, and most beers reach terminal gravity in two weeks or less.

If your really stuck I would just pitch it, and expect a slow start. I also agree with everything Edcculus says! Maybe just jack a bit of your kit's extract and make a small starter in a growler to get it going.

Fermentation Chamber

My carboy washer

You can follow me on Twitter @TimWeber

Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #19
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The answer to these questions always is make a starter!!! You don't need to start a thread, or debate or worry. If you make a starter, you will know the answer.

This is one of those things, like using a hydrometer, that should not be done as an after thought. You got liquid yeast, you make yourself a starter, no if, and or buts, liquid yeast=yeast starter.

Whether your pack smacks or not, or your tube is out of date or it sat a room temperature, or any of those issue we may have with our yeast. Even if it's a pack of DRY...Make a starter and you will know what's up.

You test a yeast viability AND reproduce said viable cells, by making a starter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #20
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah definately crack open your LME and keep it in the fridge. I think it will be worth it. and thanks rev. for directing me to the "mistakes we've made thread" my beer still isn't infected (that i know of)

Quick Reply