Slurry viability question - Pacman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcd

Reaction score
I brewed an Ale using pacman about 5 weeks ago (all in primary). Last week I racked it to a keg, and left about a gallon of beer on the yeast cake and put the airlock back on (I always brew 6gal batches). Last night, I shook it up, let it sit for about 20 minutes to drop the trubb, and transfered it to a 1 gallon jug where I now have about 1" of slurry on the bottom. If I use Mr. Malty's calculator, it says I should use 130 ml of slurry, but I really don't know how viable this yeast is, or how much of it is trub. I'd rather not make a starter, and was thinking of just splitting the yeast to pitch into 2 beers. Maybe I should take just a table spoon of the yeast and see if it goes in a starter so I know it's still good, then if that's ok, pitch the slurry.:confused:

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

I've used this yeast for my last two brews and have been happy with the results. I usually do what I think you were planning, use half the yeast from the fermenter for my next beer, and if it's a bigger beer use a bit more. I think you will be fine reusing this yeast.

Back