Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slow YLP 570 Ferment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Slow YLP 570 Ferment

I made a Belgian Strong 11 days ago. The OG was 1068 at pitch (4.5 gal of wart with a 1 gal starter). I kept the water in my swamp cooler around 62 F for two days. On the third day I added 1.75 lbs of cane sugar dissolved in water. I kept it at 62 F for another four days and then gradually raised it up to 73 where it sits today.

Yesterday the gravity was 1054 and today it's 1052. Should I do anything to speed it up a bit? I'm thinking of warming it, adding some nutrients or RDWHAHB.

I know Belgians can be slow but this seems a little excessive.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Duvel clone fermenting out as we speak with WLP570. My OG was at 1.082 over a week ago however my temps were a lot higher than yours. I pitched at around 65 and let rise naturally to 73 then after 3 days let it rise to 80+ I'm guessing around 82-84 max due to ambient in that room. Been holding it at around that temp now and it's still going nuts. I also did not add any sugar in ferm just during boil. I would try warming yours up some and go from there. You can also pitch more fresh yeast if the temp doesn't do the trick.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking too. If I repitch, do I have to bring the temp back down or just let 'er rip?

[QUOTE]

Quote:

Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Most of that will depend on the flavor profile you're going for. But most Belgian strains do like warm temps. At least that's been my experience with them. I still brew more Belgian beers than anything else and only a few strains will give you a fruity "banana" note at higher temps (Chimay being a prime example) however others tolerate it well but then you can't re-use the yeast due to the mutations going on from the high temps without losing a lot of the original flavor. I got in the habbit of taking some from the starter and saving that. But I think you should be good to go with a temp increase especially if you fed it sugar.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm looking for a Leffe/Duvel-ish flavor profile, definitely not banana. The samples have clovey hint to them but really taste like tangerines right now. I assume that's because of the high gravity.

This is my first of soon to be many Belgians. I didn't realize the yeast was this "fun" to work with.

I warming my swamp cooler up to 78-80 now.

[QUOTE]

Quote:

Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do post your results. I'm currently fermenting a belgian pale ale with WLP 570. Yesterday I pitched a 2 quart starter at 69-70F and so far its rocking. Just want to know more about what to expect with this yeast as its my first belgian beer venture.

If God made anything better than beer, apple pie, and women (in that order)...he kept it for himself.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I stirred it about and hour ago and started to get airlock activity and even kraizen (sp?) again.

[QUOTE]

Quote:

Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Still Stuck

The swamp cooler has been in the high 70's since my last post. Gravity is around 1048. It's still bubbling a little but not much.

I have something called "yeast nutrient for wine" in a generic package from my LHBS. Should I put it in there?

[QUOTE]

Quote:

Old 03-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just for KraphtBier,
I wound up pitching an additional starter of WLP 550 somewhere around the 1st of the month. It brought me down to the 30's a week later at which time a dumped a pack of notty. I'm sitting at about 1028 now and still slowly bubbling at 75 deg F. The beer tastes phenomenal so I'm just going to be patient and wait it out.

[QUOTE]

Quote:

Quick Reply