Sloppy Slurry vs. Clean Starter | xBmt Results!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting! Always love reading these. thanks for the post.

Reminded me that maybe I should brew again so I can re-use some yeast instead of going the starter route.

I personally think this is a pretty good method for lagers, as you can harvest a ton of yeast from the slurry.

I'm a sloppy slurry pitcher too. Works like a champ. Someone posted on your blog about gelatin in the slurry repitch. I've never had negative consequences and I've gone as far as 8th generation, using gelatin in each batch.

I'm a sloppy slurry pitcher too. Works like a champ. Someone posted on your blog about gelatin in the slurry repitch. I've never had negative consequences and I've gone as far as 8th generation, using gelatin in each batch.

This is great information. I'm currently on a second batch 34/70 slurry that has gelatin in it, seems to be working fine.

I love your posts. They are so informative.

I just grab some slurry quite often and have had good results.

I save slurry in the fridge for several months. I generally pitch a generous calculated amount (based on age) straight without a starter. No issues so far. I don't save if the OG was above 1.060. I also don't dry hop in primary if I want to save it. Usually I'll do an initial batch at 1.030-1.050 and I get about 4-5 good pitches from that cake. Saves time and money!

I love your posts. They are so informative.

I just grab some slurry quite often and have had good results.

Awesome, thanks dude!

I save slurry in the fridge for several months. I generally pitch a generous calculated amount (based on age) straight without a starter. No issues so far. I don't save if the OG was above 1.060. I also don't dry hop in primary if I want to save it. Usually I'll do an initial batch at 1.030-1.050 and I get about 4-5 good pitches from that cake. Saves time and money!

Do you realize how badly this makes me want to harvest yeast from the primary of a DIPA that was dry hopped to high heaven with no filtration? Oh, it's bad, real bad :tank:

I like to go 6 generations of slurry pitching on my lagers until I go with new yeast. I think I may push this further in the future since I haven't had any issues.

Do you realize how badly this makes me want to harvest yeast from the primary of a DIPA that was dry hopped to high heaven with no filtration? Oh, it's bad, real bad :tank:

Ha! You should do it. For science.

What a great read. So relevant to daily discussions in the yeast forum. I see this exbeeriment being cited repeatedly over the ensuing months/years. (like so much of your work). What great work you do. Thanks for sharing.

As a side note: I've thus far avoided adding gelatin to the FV if I planned on harvesting the yeast. I guess this concern is not warranted.

I really want everyone in my homebrew club to read your blog because I think a world of good is done for us when respectable people:
(1) admit their bias
and
(2) work hard to use process that don't embrace it.

It seems like a lot of people don't do both.

I really want everyone in my homebrew club to read your blog because I think a world of good is done for us when respectable people:

(1) admit their bias

and

(2) work hard to use process that don't embrace it.

It seems like a lot of people don't do both.

Thanks!

Ok two things:

First - Thank You for doing that write up. I must admit that I had not found your site until just a few months ago and wow - I love the process that you go through! It is good to see the results of your experiments and even better to see the lengths that you go through to make a clear process. Cheers to you! Keep em coming!!:mug:

Second - I am just upset that you didn't call me when you landed in SFO!!! I live like 5 min away and work from home. I hope that cab you took just reamed you - just kidding. But seriously man - if you need a ride or a taste tester in the future - think of me. I would have liked to have met you, have a few, and talk shop!

One of the few times I've repitched from slurry was a pliny clone that was dry hopped in primary to a 6.75% IPA. It came out fantastic.

Alright guys, what do you recommend for going from a DIPA (that I want to use gelatin in, but could do so in the keg if needed) to a big RIS. This slurry was originally from a red ale.

Current plan:
Leave some beer on top of the yeast (1/2") and pour in pre-boiled water to double that amount (taking the beer down to an equivalent 1.040 OG) and then slosh, let it settle for 5-10 minutes and then pour off into sterilized mason jars to brew immediately or a week later.

This would leave a lighter beer on top the yeast, and allow plenty of liquid for "washing" without wasting too much of a DIPA (that I undershot volume on...)

I plan to try a Dark Lord clone so OG is planned at 1.1 or so and then I'll add more fermentables as fermentation goes on

Please try it! Would love to see if the warnings about harvesting from strong hoppy beer can be shown to be a realistic concern at homebrew scale.

I pitched a 1.080 DIPA on a 1.055 cake three weeks ago. I'm going to add dry hops to the primary today. I was debating dumping wort from a new 1.060 IPA onto the cake again next week.

- Dump on cake from high OG beer? Seems like a bad idea.
- Dump on cake that is chock full of dry hops? Seems like a bad idea.

I think I'll do it.

I pitched a 1.080 DIPA on a 1.055 cake three weeks ago. I'm going to add dry hops to the primary today. I was debating dumping wort from a new 1.060 IPA onto the cake again next week.

I think I'll do it.

Do it!

I think I'll do it.

Do it!....but split the batch. High OG slurry in one and low OG slurry or fresh starter in the other. For science and stuff

I know this is an old thread. Wondering if the experiment of pitching heavily hopped and dry hopped slurry has been attempted? I haven’t found it on Brulosophy or anywhere else either.

Back