Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slapped Wyeast Bag TOO HARD!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
travis302
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slapped Wyeast Bag TOO HARD!

So I slapped the Wyeast bag much too aggressively when trying to break the nutrient packet inside. The packet was unsanitized at that point and a small hole was created in the corner. Some yeast escaped but my main questions are: What are the chances I will have infected yeast and/or ruined beer? Should I just rub some star-san on the outside and call it a day?

The yeast is covered by a ziploc for now while it warms up. please help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
Leithoa
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I rarely sanitize my yeast pouches, liquid or dry. You're probably fine, like you said just star san it and pitch it. If you're really paranoid you could make a starter to be sure.
At the end of the day it's your brew at risk, so do what you're comfortable with.

1°: Graham's English Cider, Cider; 2°: Mango Melomel; Conditioning: Banana wine, Cider, Orange/Clover blossom mead, Cyser, JAOM, In like a Lion RIS ; Drinking: In like a Lion RIS

Last edited by Leithoa; 10-08-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Just one bag? I've never had a problem but i always sanitize just in case - the ingredients for a big batch of RIS can easily be $75+ and i'm not going to risk that (and all the time) over a single bag/vial of yeast.

Btw, are you using enough yeast? One bag is usually not enough:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-p...er-calculator/

Old 10-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
travis302
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I'm making one gallon batches. This probably means I should use yeast more efficiently than I am right now but thats a separate issue.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
TzeentchPlayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You're better off moving the packet to a corner in the bag, putting your palm over the packet, and then put your weight on it until it pops. It's much easier and saves you from having your situation happen again.

You think you have an infection? See what they really look like here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

Old 10-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I wouldn't use it if you can get another quickly, a couple bucks vs. wasted time brewing isn't worth even a remote chance of ruined beer. If you can't get a replacement, just pitch it.

From what I understand, it's not even necessary to smack it. I had this happen once and now I don't bother smacking, especially since it's going in a starter and the starter wort gets a bit of yeast nutrient added anyway. I think the inside pouch only contains sterilized wort.

This was my wake up call to potential brew day yeast disaters when the LHBS is closed...keep a packet of dry yeast in the fridge now as a back up.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_L View Post
I wouldn't use it if you can get another quickly, a couple bucks vs. wasted time brewing isn't worth even a remote chance of ruined beer. If you can't get a replacement, just pitch it.

From what I understand, it's not even necessary to smack it. I had this happen once and now I don't bother smacking, especially since it's going in a starter and the starter wort gets a bit of yeast nutrient added anyway. I think the inside pouch only contains sterilized wort.

This was my wake up call to potential brew day yeast disaters when the LHBS is closed...keep a packet of dry yeast in the fridge now as a back up.
When I use wyeast, the only reason I smack it is if I'm not making a starter, when it inflates after smacking it you can then tell if it's viable or not. If you're making a starter, there really isn't a need to smack it.

I do usually spray the wyeast pack prior to pitching it as I'm rather anal in wanting to sanitize everything.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Doesn't really feel good when you slap it too hard anyway...

Old 10-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
THEUKRAINIAN
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had one explode too, right out the top, all over the wall. It didn't help I was 1/2 in the bag with friends over trying to pitch the yeast into a 6 gal batch.

I basically created a starter and went from there. It was the next logical step.

--Андрій
http://theukrainianbrewer.wordpress.com

Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
kaz4121
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Had it happen to me once. I sprayed with star san and pitched it as normal. No infection, just tasty beer!

Visit my website for the list of beers in progress

Quick Reply