Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slanting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #531
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukubau View Post
It is not necessary to first inoculate on Petri dishes. You can go ahead with the tube slants.
I didn't have the slants yet, so I used the petri dishes as a temporary solution. Problem is, I spread it on a little too thick I think, so there are no single cell colonies, just long thick smears. Can I go ahead and transfer that to slants anyway?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #532
NaymzJaymz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default I did something wrong!

Hello again. I followed the directions implicitly. After 36 hours I have one slant that is solid, and the rest are still liquid wort. Some of the slants have a thin gelatin layer at the very bottom, but are completely liquid thereafter. In section 3 it's stated that the amount of agar agar is 2.5 grams to the 35 grams of dme, and that is precisely what I used. The agar agar I found is in powdered form. What did I do wrong? Did I not mix it enough, and if so, why didn't the time in the pressure cooker mix it? I'm a little bit let down over this! Thanks!!!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #533
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Did you heat the wort and agar mixture up and stir it before pouring it into the vials?

I skipped that part the first time I did this, thinking it wouldn't make a difference, and that's what happened to me. If you follow the instructions you will end up with slants. I do every time!

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Old 10-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #534
Black Island Brewer
An Ode to Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 252 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaymzJaymz View Post
Hello again. I followed the directions implicitly. After 36 hours I have one slant that is solid, and the rest are still liquid wort. Some of the slants have a thin gelatin layer at the very bottom, but are completely liquid thereafter. In section 3 it's stated that the amount of agar agar is 2.5 grams to the 35 grams of dme, and that is precisely what I used. The agar agar I found is in powdered form. What did I do wrong? Did I not mix it enough, and if so, why didn't the time in the pressure cooker mix it? I'm a little bit let down over this! Thanks!!!
That exact thing happened to me that first time. The agar powder doesn't dissolve as easily as the DME, so be sure to boil it until it is fully dissolved. It's hard to tell for sure, but my second try came out perfect.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #535
kukubau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post
I didn't have the slants yet, so I used the petri dishes as a temporary solution. Problem is, I spread it on a little too thick I think, so there are no single cell colonies, just long thick smears. Can I go ahead and transfer that to slants anyway?
Go ahead and transfer !

Old 10-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #536
NaymzJaymz
Recipes 

Thanks guys, that may very well be what happened. The directions say that boiling isn't really necessary, so I heated it up and mixed it well(I thought). I'll try it again.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #537
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaymzJaymz View Post
I have the same problem. I followed the directions with Agar from the asian market. I even heated it to boiling to make sure it was well dissolved. Let the slants rest for a long time, and now when I pick them up they just fall to the bottom of the vial. I wonder if I just need to up the amount of agar.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #538
NaymzJaymz
Recipes 

I just tried it again with a very slight increase in the agar. The directions say "about 2.5 grams" so a little more shouldn't hurt. This time I boiled the mixture and cooled it enough to safely fill the vials. Now I appear to have the exact opposite "problem". The mixture started to set as soon as I poured it into the vials, and again after removal from the pressure cooker. I got them taped and into the slant position just in time! Is there any way that this will affect their potency? I think DWhitwell was right in that I should've mixed better the first time. One question that comes to mind, why does it take so long for a concentrated amount (a drop)of yeast placed on the host to incubate? If it was pitched into wort it would be much quicker, right? Is there any way or any reason to "test" one of these slants? How about with a few drops of common yeast, or would that be a waste? Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #539
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I got a few slants going Wednesday night when I made a starter of some Pacman yeast. They were a little mushy, the next batch of slants I made worked better with more agar agar in them.

I'm brewing another beer in a couple days which calls for US-05 so I figured I would try out a starter with my Pacman even though it's only been 4 days since I made the slant, and if it didn't work I could always go get a pack of US-05 this week.

There was some white yeast growing on the slant, so I followed the directions and put some wort in the vial, shook it, and funneled it into the flask. It seemed to work ok, but I did get a few chunks of gelled agar in the flask. Is this going to create a problem? The agar is bright green and though there are only a few small chunks, I don't want them to eventually end up in the beer. Is there a safe way of fishing them out, or am I better off just leaving them?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #540
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I would leave it. It's almost undoubtedly fine to pitch and it almost undoubtedly will settle out in primary.

Quick Reply