Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
i can only find gelatin in 1oz packaging. will regular gello work? thicker of course.
I have heard it will work although I have not tried it.

Quote:
it looks like you penetrated the surface of the medium at innoculation time vs swiping the surface?
Yeah I just poke it 5-6 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #42
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

11-8-09

made the following "jiggler" ratio. (jell-o reports 76g sugar in 3oz):

1 3oz package lemon jell-o
1 tbsp dme
5oz water

got 5 tubes each of ~20ml firming in fridge. gonna try to put some yeasties in them tomorrow using my homemade nichrome wire loop.

11-09-09

it seems if you put this "slant" in the fridge to set, once at room temp there is moisture/softening of the media. resting at room temp till nearly firm so far has absorbed the moisture.

Last edited by mordantly; 11-09-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: update

Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #43
dooksh
Recipes 

i made some slants yesterday .most of the liquid slanted but there is still a small amount of liquid that wont slant.
do you think i should start over?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #44
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooksh View Post
i made some slants yesterday .most of the liquid slanted but there is still a small amount of liquid that wont slant.
do you think i should start over?
You really want solid media for storage, if the slants aren't solid you need to use more agar and try again. I have some slants that got watery after storage, they still seem to be building up OK but they were solid when I cultured the yeast, for those I will be tossing them pretty soon because I don't expect them to be viable nearly as long.

Quote:

Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #45
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

how will yeast respond if taken from a washed starter @ 40F and innoculate a slant at 65F?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #46
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
how will yeast respond if taken from a washed starter @ 40F and innoculate a slant at 65F?
Don't think it would be a problem, but I wouldn't try it unless the yeast are first generation or you streak a plate to make sure it isn't contaminated before using the slants.

Quote:

Old 11-10-2009, 01:01 AM   #47
cmcnair1
Recipes 

Would a pressure cooker that only does 10 psi work sufficiently? It seems like a lot of the new cheaper models don't go to 15psi.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #48
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnair1 View Post
Would a pressure cooker that only does 10 psi work sufficiently? It seems like a lot of the new cheaper models don't go to 15psi.
You need at least 12 PSI above ambient pressure to reach the recommended 240*F for canning. You could probably get away with it... but I wouldn't try.

Quote:

Old 11-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #49
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Sacc,
I've heard of people dumping some boiled/cooled starter wort into a couple of cultured slants to begin their starter. They would use a sanitized loop to mix the yeast and wort and dump that solution into their flask and place on a stir plate. They would re-cap the emptied tube and allow the culture to re-grow on the same agar/slant.

Does this sound o.k.?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #50
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
Sacc,
I've heard of people dumping some boiled/cooled starter wort into a couple of cultured slants to begin their starter. They would use a sanitized loop to mix the yeast and wort and dump that solution into their flask and place on a stir plate. They would re-cap the emptied tube and allow the culture to re-grow on the same agar/slant.
Yep, you should do this if you don't have canned wort. Reason is, if the wort isn't absolutely sterile, you could get hosed by bacteria in the slant to 250mL step because it's a large one and the lag time is long (especially if you don't have a stir plate).

Quote:

Quick Reply